Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updated to Mojave, now need macOS Server 5.7, where is download?

Can't find the update or anything in the new App Store...

Mac mini, macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Sep 24, 2018 2:42 PM

15 replies

Sep 25, 2018 7:48 AM in response to ghaea

As you've seen, Apple hasn't released a Mojave version of macOS Server in the App Store.

One also needs to make sure the services they are currently running in macOS Server will be needed in the Mojave version because it's possible the new version will have deprecated services mentioned here.

Personally, I don't plan on ever upgrading my home server to Mojave because I still use some of those deprecated services.

Nov 8, 2018 1:42 AM in response to ghaea

The "changes" for macOS server have been in the open for more than 6 months since April 2018 (pre-Mojave announcement)

latest migration guide: https://developer.apple.com/support/macos-server/macOS-Server-Service-Migration- Guide.pdf

Most services that do not pertain to App development and deployment, and Users management have been deprecated: basically they ask you to use the standalone modules (available via git/macports etc) which they have been using so far themselves in macOS server but no longer do. This is usual when maintenance becomes complicated with third party software. (previous 2 versions of MacOS server 5.6 already deprecated the GUI for these services BUT ran them in the background you had to run a specific command line to have them show up IN the server App itself.)

PHP, DNS, TP and Calendar/Contacts

Prepare for changes to macOS Server 5.7.1 - Apple Support

The migration ain't always trivial so read the manual, backup/snapshot your system and follow the instructions almost to the letter.

Have fun

Sep 24, 2018 9:07 PM in response to kamran1998

I wouldn't think so, as long as you have a real DNS server running on your network. I suspect the DNS offering from macOS Server was for those that used it as THE DNS server on their network. I suspect they removed the functionality (along with DHCP) since they saw that in the vast majority of installations most of these functions already had dedicated/separate servers.

Sep 25, 2018 8:11 AM in response to keg55

That's the strange part, Enterprise told me there should've been a prompt telling me not to upgrade if you're running macOS server. There wasn't, only prompt there said I will need to update to 5.7 as soon as I'm done installing Mojave, which I took as "oh, its ready and waiting for you as soon as you're done with this"....

Enterprise said there's no official release date for 5.7, so basically, I was lucky that I started running a time machine backup on this mac mini a week ago...

In 5 hours I'll see how good the time machine backup finally is 🙂

Bottom line, don't upgrade to Mojave if you're not using the computer for vanilla purposes.

Sep 25, 2018 4:17 PM in response to ghaea

I only use it for Profile Manager, and I only updated because Apple Configurator had an update that seemed to support the latest iOS (which I was having problems with before) and wouldn't update without updating to Mojave.

So, a bit of a ******-if-you-do, ******-if-you-don't situation.

Obviously I generally subscribe to the "Don't do major updates to critical things immediately" but it's a bit disingenuous of Apple to say "Here's an update to a vital piece of software you use, but you must upgrade before you can use it... Also we're not going to immediately make an update available to a just as vital piece of software that will break after the upgrade."

For what it's worth, I didn't get the supposed "Don't upgrade if you use Server" prompt, either.

Sep 27, 2018 5:10 PM in response to ghaea

Same here. Fortunately, was able to rollback. But, no, there was no warning that it wasn't ready yet.

It said something like, "macOS 10.14 requires server 5.7..." It did not stop me. I figured, "oh, I can download it right after I install this just like every other release..."

Silly me, I forgot that in the new order the macOS isn't an iPhone or iPad so is no longer important.

Updated to Mojave, now need macOS Server 5.7, where is download?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.