Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"An error occurred installing macOS" Mojave Upgrade

Hello,

I am trying to upgrade my 2018 MBP from High Sierra (latest) to Mojave. However, the installer returns "An error occurred installing macOS" error after running for about 10 minutes.

The following information is contained in the log:

osinstallersetupd[859]: OSISDownloadOperation: bridgeOS update is required (minimum bridge version: 16.16.375.0.0,0)

osinstallersetupd[859]: Unable to get fs for /macOS Install Data

osinstallersetupd[859]: PackageKit: No native mechanism to verify AppleDiagnostics.chunklist

osinstallersetupd[859]: PackageKit: No native mechanism to verify InstallESD.dmg PackageKit: No native mechanism to verify InstallInfo.plist PackageKit: No native mechanism to verify AppleDiagnostics.dmg PackageKit: No native mechanism to verify BaseSystem.dmg PackageKit: No native mechanism to verify BaseSystem.chunklist

osinstallersetupd[859]: Personalization summary: 17.. -> 18... (Customer), global = 0, variant = multiple, client = osinstallersetupd, user auth = 0, tdm = 0, prod fused = 1, model = ..., session = ..: success

bridgeOS prepare summary: 15... -> 16..., update = 16.16.375.0.0, brain = 16.16.375.0.0, variant = com.apple.bridgeOSCustomer, macOS = 17... (customer), project = BridgeOSInstall-56, userAuth = 0, prod fused = 1, model = ..., client = InstallAssistant, retries = 0, session =...: Error Domain=BOSErrorDomain Code=204 "An error occurred during preflight." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred during preflight., NSUnderlyingError=0x7fb78b516bb0 {Error Domain=BridgeOSSoftwareUpdateError Code=19 "MSU - 2 (Failed to personalize with options.);MSU - 2 (Could not personalize boot/firmware bundle.);AMAI - 3099 (AMAuthInstallBundlePersonalize() failed: );" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=MSU - 2 (Failed to personalize with options.);MSU - 2 (Could not personalize boot/firmware bundle.);AMAI - 3099 (AMAuthInstallBundlePersonalize() failed: );, MSUErrorCode=2, AMAuthInstallErrorCode=3099, MSUErrorDescription=Failed to personalize with options., NetworkRequired=true}}}

osinstallersetupd[859]: bridgeOS update prepare failed: Error Domain=BOSErrorDomain Code=204 "An error occurred during preflight." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred during preflight., NSUnderlyingError=0x7fb78b516bb0 {Error Domain=BridgeOSSoftwareUpdateError Code=19 "MSU - 2 (Failed to personalize with options.);MSU - 2 (Could not personalize boot/firmware bundle.);AMAI - 3099 (AMAuthInstallBundlePersonalize() failed: );" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=MSU - 2 (Failed to personalize with options.);MSU - 2 (Could not personalize boot/firmware bundle.);AMAI - 3099 (AMAuthInstallBundlePersonalize() failed: );, MSUErrorCode=2, AMAuthInstallErrorCode=3099, MSUErrorDescription=Failed to personalize with options., NetworkRequired=true}}}

osinstallersetupd[859]: Operation queue failed with error: Error Domain=com.apple.OSInstallerSetup.error Code=602 "An error occurred installing macOS." UserInfo={NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestion=, NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred installing macOS., NSUnderlyingError=0x7fb78962d0d0 {Error Domain=BOSErrorDomain Code=204 "An error occurred during preflight." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred during preflight., NSUnderlyingError=0x7fb78b516bb0 {Error Domain=BridgeOSSoftwareUpdateError Code=19 "MSU - 2 (Failed to personalize with options.);MSU - 2 (Could not personalize boot/firmware bundle.);AMAI - 3099 (AMAuthInstallBundlePersonalize() failed: );" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=MSU - 2 (Failed to personalize with options.);MSU - 2 (Could not personalize boot/firmware bundle.);AMAI - 3099 (AMAuthInstallBundlePersonalize() failed: );, MSUErrorCode=2, AMAuthInstallErrorCode=3099, MSUErrorDescription=Failed to personalize with options., NetworkRequired=true}}}}}

InstallAssistant[858]: Stopped operation queue with Error Domain=com.apple.OSInstallerSetup.error Code=602 "An error occurred installing macOS." UserInfo={NSUnderlyingError=0x7fdab2200a80 {Error Domain=BOSErrorDomain Code=204 "An error occurred during preflight." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred during preflight., NSUnderlyingError=0x7fdab2200c10 {Error Domain=BridgeOSSoftwareUpdateError Code=19 "MSU - 2 (Failed to personalize with options.);MSU - 2 (Could not personalize boot/firmware bundle.);AMAI - 3099 (AMAuthInstallBundlePersonalize() failed: );" UserInfo={NetworkRequired=true, MSUErrorCode=2, AMAuthInstallErrorCode=3099, MSUErrorDescription=Failed to personalize with options., NSLocalizedDescription=MSU - 2 (Failed to personalize with options.);MSU - 2 (Could not personalize boot/firmware bundle.);AMAI - 3099 (AMAuthInstallBundlePersonalize() failed: );}}}}, NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestion=, NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred installing macOS.}

Can anyone help? I've no idea what to do.

SMC, PRAM/NVRAM, Disk Utility First Aid, Permissions Repair did not help.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Sep 25, 2018 1:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2018 12:58 PM

Hello nickfxx,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that you're encountering an error when attempting to upgrade your MacBook Pro to macOS Mojave. You've come to the right place for help.

It sounds like you've already done some great troubleshooting steps to help rule out possible causes for this error. I would like to have you try the following, testing if you can install macOS Mojave after each step:

1. Disconnect any external device from the MacBook Pro, such as an external hard drive, audio devices, or other peripherals.
  2. Try installing the software using a new user. If you don't have another user account, here's how you can create one for testing: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support
  3. Delete the installer file, then redownload it again from the Mac App Store.
Keep us posted with what happens from here.

Cheers!

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2018 12:58 PM in response to nickfxx

Hello nickfxx,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that you're encountering an error when attempting to upgrade your MacBook Pro to macOS Mojave. You've come to the right place for help.

It sounds like you've already done some great troubleshooting steps to help rule out possible causes for this error. I would like to have you try the following, testing if you can install macOS Mojave after each step:

1. Disconnect any external device from the MacBook Pro, such as an external hard drive, audio devices, or other peripherals.
  2. Try installing the software using a new user. If you don't have another user account, here's how you can create one for testing: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support
  3. Delete the installer file, then redownload it again from the Mac App Store.
Keep us posted with what happens from here.

Cheers!

Sep 25, 2018 6:08 PM in response to nickfxx

I would delete the installer from Shift+Command+A and re-download it. That seems to do the trick. Sometimes these images get corrupted somehow. If that still doesn't work call Apple support dude! You have free call support included since your machine is brand new. Just have your serial number ready which you can find in "About this Mac."

1-800-275-2273

Sep 29, 2018 12:59 PM in response to nickfxx

Going through the same thing. Apple support has had me download and attempt to reinstall in both Safe and Recovery modes. Just got done trying the "pull out all external devices" thing. None of it has worked. Lol.

Now I'm waiting on support to call me back after I left them a msg informing them the fix isn't working.

I'll let you know what the fix is—if they fix it.

Sep 29, 2018 1:01 PM in response to nickfxx

Hi everyone,

update: None of the online solutions really helped. The only thing left was to boot into recovery and perform a clean install. That's what I did and that was the only solution which worked out. So for everyone having the same problem: instead of wasting your time trying to solve it, just clean install and transfer everything over using time machine. Not the most elegant solution, but it does save you time as opposed to trying out 1000 other solutions.

Oct 1, 2018 7:27 PM in response to nickfxx

So...after trying everything you see in these forums...and nothing working. I ran across someone saying something about Filevault interfering with installatioN. So I tried one last attempt by simply turning Filevault off.

Sure enough. Thats all it took. Fully installed.

So try simply turning Filevault off. If it still dosnet work, try all the other options with Filevault off.

Good luck.

"An error occurred installing macOS" Mojave Upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.