Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.6x on Mojave?

Upgraded to Mojave yesterday on my iMac. Noticed that as part of that upgrade, they updated my iTunes to current version (12.9.0.164).

I was using 12.6.4 until yesterday, and I noticed today that there was an update to that small version a week ago (12.6.5). Went to install it, and 12.6.5's installer says that it's not compatible. Won't let me install it. I saved the dmg file from the 12.6.4 version, and tried that.

Same deal, tells me it's not compatible with Mojave. Anyone know a way around this and get 12.6.5 installed? I really need to have control over apps. Tkx.

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4), 32Gb Ram

Posted on Sep 25, 2018 9:43 AM

19 replies

Sep 26, 2018 7:09 AM in response to Joe Siegler

Based on the downloads page, iTunes has now been rolled in macOS:User uploaded file

and looks like it will no longer be a separate download!

So a separate download for iTunes 12.9 for Mac looks like will no longer

be available which explains some of the confusion with the previous iTunes

disparity between Mac and Windows. Also means, if you must have iTunes 12.9.

you must upgrade to Mojave and 12.9 will not be available for any other macOS

version.

Sep 25, 2018 9:50 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

I'm aware of that. That's not what I'm asking about.,

12.6.x has been released and is made available by their support for people who still want or need the ability to maintain apps on iTunes. I mean they updated it a week ago, so this is not some rogue thing.

Talking about this, Carolyn..

Deploy apps in a business environment with iTunes - Apple Support

Oct 23, 2018 5:27 PM in response to PattiMac61

Download the current 12.8 installer for iTunes from https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/.

Unlock your iOS device and connect it to USB.

Reinstall iTunes from the .dmg that you've downloaded.

During the installation it should announce that a further software update is required.

Install that and iTunes should see your device.

See also If your iOS 12 device isn't recognized by iTunes, you might need to upgrade macOS or iTunes - Apple Support.

tt2

Sep 26, 2018 12:28 PM in response to Joe Siegler

I concur, problem with Configurator is it gives you no insight into all your previous purchases, especially those that are not installed on your iOS device.

iTunes 12.6 would let you check for updates to any app in your library (not just installed ones) I found this quite useful in re-discovering apps I had deleted from my device. Then they received an update that made me want to re-install them.

A simple example of this is you had a Game installed you made it through all the levels and completed it - so you remove it from your device - several months later that Game gets new levels - problem is you have no idea that it got that update.

Another example is an App finally gets a 64bit upgrade, except again you don't know that if you've removed the app from your device.

and another... you removed an app that interested you because it required a FB logon, now months later the dev removed that requirement and again you have no idea that update has happened.

This is also a potential missed revenue opportunity for devs as well i.e. missed IAP's

If you've been a iOS user for awhile you have probably accumulated (purchased) quite a few apps and unfortunately the iOS App Store (and MAS) gives you very very limited insight into your collection of apps.

Dec 3, 2018 2:52 AM in response to matrix42

It has been reported that you can delete the iTunes version installed with Mojave via the Terminal and then restore a copy of iTunes 12.6.x from a backup. To prevent your iTunes library from becoming incompatible with iTunes 12.6.x, you probably should not launch iTunes under Mojave before doing this replacement.

In the longer run, one might have to resort to maintaining a small database/spreadsheet of app purchases (incl. purchase date, AppleID used to buy it, vendor and category as well as whether one has it installed or not), ideally also updated with version number, size of app and last updated.

iTunes 12.6x on Mojave?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.