Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Continuity Camera fail - "Device timed out"

Just upgraded to Mojave, and tried Continuity Camera.

Opened a new doc in Pages, right-clicked, and chose "Import from iPhone" and "Take Photo". I took the photo.

A few seconds later, in Pages, I got an error message: "Could not import from iPhone. The device timed out."

So I tried doing this with my iPad, and this time when I took the photo with the iPad, I saw "Use Photo" on the screen. Hit that, and the photo went into Pages.

But with the iPhone, I never get "Use Photo".

What's wrong here?

iMac, macOS Mojave (10.14), null

Posted on Sep 25, 2018 11:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2018 1:34 PM

I have the same issue.

Originally it was timed out.

Then it said I needed to activate two-factor authentication (which is already enabled).

Now it's back to timed out. Happens both on my iphone to mac and ipad to mac.

90 replies

Oct 9, 2018 11:40 PM in response to Roger Barre

Here's the solution. Given that you satisfy all conditions in this support doc: Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch - Apple Support, then all you have to do is go to your Mac's Bluetooth preferences, and connect the iPhone from the scanned list. You can also do it from your iPhone. Go to Settings -> Bluetooth, connect the Mac from the scanned list. This step about connecting directly between the 2 devices via bluetooth is not mentioned at all in the doc and after doing that, all features of Continuity works. No need to sign out/ sign in iCloud.

Oct 26, 2018 12:52 AM in response to Roger Barre

After sooooo many deep dives into different apple discussions, taking to three different 'Advisors', three hours of my life, and one burrito, I found a solution.

After the Apple Pay on my pre-touchbar era Mac wasn't working, and then the continuity camera wasn't working, I decided to talk to chat with the apple powers that be. After resetting wifi/bluetooth/Mac/iphone/icloud didn't work, they recommended the MacOS Reinstall for a 'fresh, new' OS.

Re-installing macOS. It sounds complex, but its fairly simple.

Re install does not delete anything on your computer. You simply reboot, and press/hold down the command and r buttons. You click re-install Mac OS and get dinner because it takes an ungodly amount of time. But it works, and you pray that the next update isn't as troublesome.

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Sep 26, 2018 5:33 AM in response to Dave_The_FA

Tried that - still not working.... (but I have now fixed the issue, see the end)

iPhone 6s, iOS12. 2015MBP, MacOS Mojave 10.4. Same AppleID on both devices with 2FA active. BT enabled and devices paired.

Could not import from “<name of iPhone>”

The device timed out

Continuity Camera works with my 2018 iPad, which has identical settings to the 6S.

However... a reboot of the phone cured the problem.

Sep 27, 2018 12:46 PM in response to Roger Barre

Having the same problem on iMac 27 inch Late 2013 and iPhone SE. 2FA on - Bluetooth on on both devices - Both on the same Wifi network - Both on the same Apple ID.

I tried logging out from Apple ID from both devices and log back in - Didn't work

I tried rebooting the Mac - Didn't work

I tried to pair my iPhone manually over Bluetooth - Didn't work...

...it really should not be this difficult. Hope Apple issues an update soon or provides a solution of some sort. A lot of people seem to have the same problem

Sep 27, 2018 5:38 PM in response to Roger Barre

I couldn't get Continuity Camera to work between my 2014 15" MBP (Mojave) and my iPad Air 2 (iOS 12). Initially I repeatedly got "The device timed out." error. But then I after reading more about continuity camera I finally turned on my MBP's Wifi (I normally connect via Ethernet only). Afterwards, it works! Though it took me a while to realize you also need to press the "use photo" button on the iOS device to actually send the photo to the Mac.

Probably the most potentially useful new feature in Mojave I've found so far!

Sep 28, 2018 8:10 AM in response to lambanlaa

lambanlaa wrote:

"Use Photo" means Continuity Camera did work, and you should select that button to paste the photo.

Please click helpful if my answer did help you. Thanks.

I did.

By the way, I think what got it working for me was actually restarting my iPhone.

When I asked what "Use Photo" was, I was not seeing it; now I do, and it works perfectly :-)

Sep 29, 2018 1:40 AM in response to b3brett

My sympathies with your attempt not working.

If the bluetooth cache is corrupt there is little prospect of any further progress, so no harm in trying.

Resetting the bluetooth cache is not a first, (nor the only) action that may be required.

At a minimum pairing you Mac and iPhone following a bluetooth cache reset is a needed step.

Signing-out and resigning-in from iCloud may also be needed. (Not for the feint hearted, nor those in a rush. Make a backup of all iCould data before signing out, if you value your data).

I wish you better luck with any next attempt you might make to get the feature functioning.

Sep 29, 2018 12:48 PM in response to Roger Barre

Seems to be a blutooth issue.

My phone won't stay connected to the Mac. It'll connect for a moment, then disconnect.

I'm using an iPhone 7 Plus and MacBook Pro, both updated to the latest OS. Using Apple's Pages app.

The iPhone connected to the MacBook but I'm getting the "device time out" as well.

Hope they get the bug fixed. It seems like a cool feature.

Continuity Camera fail - "Device timed out"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.