Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Mojave install error

Hi Everybody,

I am trying to upgrade my 2018 MacBook Pro 13" from High Sierra to Mojave, but it says "An error occurred installing macOS" at the very end of the installation.

I've tried to reset SMC, VRAM, Safe mode, Recovery mode and reinstall Sierra. Still not working.

Can any1 help me?

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018, 4 TBT3), macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Sep 25, 2018 12:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2018 11:09 PM

I struggled with this for 3 days, and I was finally able to install Mojave. Before I proceed with any steps, please confirm that you are perhaps stuck at the same spot I was at:

• The installer stops when there's about 15 seconds remaining, an error shows up saying "An error occurred installing macOS", and clicking on 'OK' quits the installer.
  • After this, open up Spotlight Search (Cmd + Space), type 'console' and press Enter. In the console sidebar to the left, click on the /var/log directory, and then select 'install.log' in the resulting sidebar.
  • Check whether there are any error messages in the log stating 'Could not personalize boot/firmware bundle' or 'Failed to personalize with options'. You can use the search field to search for these messages. My error log looked exactly like djeux's log here: Re: Re: Mojave - "An error occurred installing macOS" error

If you see an error message that includes the above, the following solution might help:

1. Create a new admin user using the steps mentioned here: http://osxdaily.com/2017/07/17/how-create-new-admin-account-mac/. You will need to reuse the password for admin logins, so use something handy.
  2. Login using the newly created admin user and run the Mojave installer again. It should install just fine this time. If it doesn't and if the console error log says that 'BridgeOS could not be updated' or something similar this time, disable the firewall by going to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Lock button in bottom left > Turn Off Firewall. You can re-enable it later, but this part may be unnecessary to most people.
  3. The installation will be completed and you will be logged back into this newly created admin account. You can then log out and log back in to your usual admin account, and you can delete the other account and its home folder if necessary.

I have had conversations with about 6 different Apple support agents, and it seems like Apple may be unaware about this error in particular. I tried all their solutions, resetting the SMC, installing from safe mode, from internet recovery mode, disabling auto proxy discover, using an Ethernet adapter, and nothing worked except this.

They also suggested I try a bootable installer for Mojave, but that would've been time consuming and I haven't tried it yet as I found a better alternative before that. But if you the above solution didn't work, you can give it a try yourself by following the steps here: How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to help!

-- Sufi

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2018 11:09 PM in response to Querian

I struggled with this for 3 days, and I was finally able to install Mojave. Before I proceed with any steps, please confirm that you are perhaps stuck at the same spot I was at:

• The installer stops when there's about 15 seconds remaining, an error shows up saying "An error occurred installing macOS", and clicking on 'OK' quits the installer.
  • After this, open up Spotlight Search (Cmd + Space), type 'console' and press Enter. In the console sidebar to the left, click on the /var/log directory, and then select 'install.log' in the resulting sidebar.
  • Check whether there are any error messages in the log stating 'Could not personalize boot/firmware bundle' or 'Failed to personalize with options'. You can use the search field to search for these messages. My error log looked exactly like djeux's log here: Re: Re: Mojave - "An error occurred installing macOS" error

If you see an error message that includes the above, the following solution might help:

1. Create a new admin user using the steps mentioned here: http://osxdaily.com/2017/07/17/how-create-new-admin-account-mac/. You will need to reuse the password for admin logins, so use something handy.
  2. Login using the newly created admin user and run the Mojave installer again. It should install just fine this time. If it doesn't and if the console error log says that 'BridgeOS could not be updated' or something similar this time, disable the firewall by going to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Lock button in bottom left > Turn Off Firewall. You can re-enable it later, but this part may be unnecessary to most people.
  3. The installation will be completed and you will be logged back into this newly created admin account. You can then log out and log back in to your usual admin account, and you can delete the other account and its home folder if necessary.

I have had conversations with about 6 different Apple support agents, and it seems like Apple may be unaware about this error in particular. I tried all their solutions, resetting the SMC, installing from safe mode, from internet recovery mode, disabling auto proxy discover, using an Ethernet adapter, and nothing worked except this.

They also suggested I try a bootable installer for Mojave, but that would've been time consuming and I haven't tried it yet as I found a better alternative before that. But if you the above solution didn't work, you can give it a try yourself by following the steps here: How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to help!

-- Sufi

Dec 20, 2018 5:53 PM in response to quito787

Spoke with 6 Apple support person. Final conclusion - in the process of installing mojave, somehow it got corrupted so now we have to reset my hard drive and use my back up data but somehow the time machine/capsule was also having problems. I was then told that I need to go to a 3rd party company to retrieve my data since Apple does not do it. I told the representative that this is absolutely ridiculous especially because my computer was completely fine until Apple kept shoving in my face with their numerous reminders to update to the newest MacOS Mojave and now my computer can’t be used and accessed and Apple will do nothing about the damage they caused not to mention the bug report that I was not and could not submit!!! So frustrated!!!

Dec 22, 2018 1:06 PM in response to Kaydelott

My computer is finally working. After countless hours of speaking to 7 different Apple support advisors (3 of which are senior ones), it is now working. They had to erase and use my time machine back up and iCloud. Thankfully the time machine worked because at first it would not show at all. Once it did, I called again and that saved me a trip to the Genius Bar. I am not installing new updates again!

Sep 26, 2018 11:13 AM in response to Querian

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, Querian!

I understand you're unable to get macOS Mojave to correctly install. I'd be happy to provide information that may help you out.

Since you've tried a few other steps, try this next to troubleshoot: How to create a bootable installer for macOS

Once you've created the installer, try updating from there.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.
Have a great day!

Dec 4, 2018 5:34 AM in response to Querian

I had the same issue today. After reading this forum, I tried many tips mentioned here.

• Tried install after restarting (Not Worked)
  • Change My existing WiFi and connect with Airtel 4G dongle (not worked)
  • Create new admin (didn't work)
  • Disable Automatic Proxy Configuration (didn't work)

Finally, I found my own way. Firstly, Removed macOS Mojave installer. (It is sad 😟 to remove 6 GB file and reinstall) Then go back to App store, Installed macOS Mojave. I was able to successfully install the new OS.

I crafted an article about "An Error Occurred Validating the installer data" on my personal blog with relevant screenshots. Please follow the guide if there is any doubt. Mark this answer as helpful if it worked.

Thanks. 🙂

Sep 27, 2018 8:06 AM in response to Querian

I have the same at home.

Next day install was successful in our office.

The problem was that an Automatic Proxy Configuration was enabled.

Download worked fine at home with that Proxy Configuration but at the end of install there was an error.

I did not changed anything on MacBook just connected to corporate network and install worked well.

Sep 28, 2018 1:37 PM in response to Asian6Cat

Super dooper thanks for sharing this information. I was stuck at the exact same point as you, with the same errors in the log files (which I couldn't find before finding your post).

For me the solution was to make a new admin user like you suggested AND switch from WiFi to my personal hotspot through USB. After that everything worked like there was never a problem at all.

It is still unclear to me why these steps fixed the issue, and it seems to me like these difficulties could have been prevented quite easily by Apple.

Nov 12, 2018 1:05 PM in response to MikeV8

Thanks guys, this worked for me as well 🙂 One extra step I had to do though was as follows:
- Updated the setting to disable the "auto proxy" setting (as per the recommendation above)

- Logged out the user I was logged in as.

- Held down the power button for about 8 seconds.

- Mac turned off and showed the "apple logo".

- Booted back up, and tried the installation.

- All worked well after that point 🙂

Nov 18, 2018 12:36 PM in response to Querian

I've tried EVERYTHING listed. I found the "could not personalize boot/firmware bundle" as instructed. Did the admin thing, did not work. Also did the proxy thing, also did not work. I've been on phone with Apple reps for collective time of >3 hours, no answers. Apple isn't even aware of the above issue, I found this all on my own.

Anyone?!?!

Dec 19, 2018 8:42 PM in response to jinsonkv

Same problem. It keeps looping back to the error message. Have been on the phone with 2 Apple support people. The second one walked me through all kinds of different solutions. Right now it is trying to install the Mojave but the time it displays keeps getting longer and longer. It is at 7 hrs and 36 mins now!!! This is so ridiculous. My computer was fine until I tried updating it. So not happy with Apple especially because I have a big report to turn in tomorrow with no computer to use. It is almost midnight and I’m still staring at this stupid message.

Dec 22, 2018 12:27 PM in response to sstgibbs

Same thing happened to me last night. Install failed with “Could not be installed. Please restart.” But on restart my login password didn’t work so I was essentially bricked. Chatted with Apple Support Dave and discovered my hard drive isn’t showing up at all. Nothing like having to go to the mall on the Friday before Christmas to get to the Genius Bar. They couldn’t fix it and kept the computer overnight. I’m still waiting to hear whether they’ll have to wipe it (I’m thinking they will). I have backups but not as current as I’d like. Come on, Apple. It’s almost 2019. My computer was fine without the stupid update. Why do we have to put up with this?

Dec 23, 2018 11:55 AM in response to Querian

Mojave installation:

Mojave installation error likely due to Parallels installations

Resolution:

click on the magnifying glass near the type of your screen, and search for and open “Console.' Type in console and the application will populate.

Then click on var/log, then install plug-in and you will see the error.

To resolve the issue, you need SMC reset.

For SMC reset, you need to :

Choose Apple menu > Shut Down.

After your Mac shuts down, press Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the built-in keyboard, then press the power button at the same time. Hold these keys and the power button for 10 seconds. If you have a MacBook Pro with Touch ID, the Touch ID button is also the power button.

Release all keys.

Press the power button again to turn on your Mac.

Once the machine restarts, reinstall Mojave and it should work. This was how I fixed mine 2 days ago.

macOS Mojave install error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.