Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After upgrading to Mojave, most folders' time stamp is set to 1 Jan 1970

After upgrading to Mojave, the majority (not all, but say 80-90%) of the folders and subfolders in my file system on my iCloud Drive in Finder on have had their time stamp reset to "1 January 1970 at 01:00" (both Created and Last Modified). I have +1,000 folders and subfolders and have a workflow where I sort folders in Finder after 'Date Modified' so this is a huge issue for me.

I have three Macs that I have been switching between for over a year without any problems, using the same AppleID and iCloud Drive. Two were upgraded to Mojave and exhibit the exact same problem, whereas the one that still runs High Sierra 10.13.6 has kept the correct time stamps for all folders.

- Anyone having any idea on how this could have occurred? (I did a "standard install" from the App Store on both Macs).

- Anyone having any idea on how to go about trying to get the correct time stamps back to all of these folders?
(It would be time consuming night mare to try to correct them manually, so any other way would be necessary. The Mac still running High Sierra shows the correct time stamp for each folder, so I still have a reliable source for what they should be.

The two macs that are affected after Mojave upgrade are: iMac (Retina 5k, 27-inch, late 2014, 3TB Fusion Drive) and a MB Pro (Retina, 13-inch, early 2015). The third mac unaffected, still on High Sierra 10.13.6 is a MB Air 13-inch, mid 2013.

iMac 27" i7, MBP 15", iPad, iP Touch, ATV-2, Mac OS X (10.6.6), Time Capsule, 802.11n

Posted on Sep 25, 2018 2:31 PM

15 replies

Dec 4, 2018 12:58 AM in response to Tatami53

Feedback - macOS - Apple

Please use the link above to submit a bug report to Apple.

The more people submit, the higher the priority this bug will be in Apple's queue.

I find this bug totally unacceptable, as it really causes trouble using Finder and my most important folders.

By the way, the modification date of my buggy folders changed to 04 November 2018, so 1970 ist gone. Still annoying, as all those dates are incorrect.

I doubt that the original dates can ever be recovered. Apple probably overwrote the correct dates.

Oct 7, 2018 10:52 PM in response to AnLe41

I have exactly the same problem, iMac 27 5k (late 2014), SSD, macOS 10.14.

iCloud drive sync "Desktop and Documents" turned on.

See screenshot: http://take.ms/RfbHx
Folders and files inside those affected "1970" folders have correct dates.

Note that the affected folders are direct subfolders of Desktop, Desktop being located in iCloud drive.

So this is the hierarchy:

iCloud drive > Desktop > 1970 folder > normal folder

Apple, please fix this bug!

Oct 8, 2018 3:09 AM in response to tasssilo

Additional update from AnLe41:

Last week on Oct 3, the time stamp of all the affected folders suddenly changed. Instead of the initial '1 Jan 1970 at 01:00' time stamp, they were all updated to get the time stamp of that day and time when the change occurred ('3 Oct 2018 at 10:52').

The change was global and affected all folders that previously had the wrong time stamp across the entire iCloud drive. It has not affected any of the subfolders that had conserved the correct time stamp after the upgrade to Mojave, nor have any of the files inside any such folders had their time stamps changed.

The only new effect of this change is that all of these folders that had their time stamp changed now appear with the same 3 Oct time stamp also when I access them from my MB Air, which is still on High Sierra. Before Oct 3 (when the affected folders still had '1 Jan 1970' in Mojave), these folders still showed the original and correct time stamp when accessed from the MB Air under High Sierra and the incorrect time stamp only showed up under Mojave.

Nov 8, 2018 3:08 AM in response to AnLe41

Same issue here. When upgrading to 10.14.1 (I think it was connected to this upgrade), dates of affected folders changed to current timestamp. See screenshot: http://take.ms/PpqP4

Still not the original folder dates, however. Folders affected are connected via https://www.wellness-heaven.de/

Quite annoying. Apple seems to have lost the info on the original dates, and just reset to current timestamp ...

Nov 8, 2018 3:20 AM in response to tasssilo

OK good to know. I have held off upgrading to 10.14.1 until I know more what's going to happen. As a freelance writer I have sorted all my work in recent years in folders so that I easily could trace what I have done chronologically for different clients for invoicing and such.

But since I upgraded to Mojave all that is shot to pieces.

And changing the folder date to the current date would not help at all.

The files in the folders do have the correct dates. So theoretically it should be possible to write a fix that would change the folder date to the creation date of the oldest file in the folder.

But that would require Apple to actually address the problem, which they don't seem to have done so far.

Nov 15, 2018 2:08 PM in response to AnLe41

Same problem here. After the update to Mojave most (but not all) folders in Desktop and Documents got 1969 December 31 as the "last modified" date. Tried many things to fix it without much success:

1. Signed out of my iCloud account, then signed back in - dates changed to April 17, 2017 (incorrectly)

2. Deleted CloudDocs folder from Library- no effect

3. Quit icloudd and bird programs from activity monitor - no effect

The most annoying thing is that even if I modify something in the folder with incorrect date (say, remove a file from there), then the modified date changes to "Today", but in about 2 minutes reverts back to April 17, 2017.

Nov 20, 2018 5:00 AM in response to AnLe41

I have the same issue with the time stamp, it's a significant problem. All my current project files "date modified" were just uniformly re-stamped to 11/15/18, even though most of them had not been touched.

I use the icloud drive and like to switch between my iMac (late 2013) and new MacBook Pro (both on Mojave) when I travel.

Seriously. Apple. Please address.

Nov 22, 2018 1:59 PM in response to RobertoSFO

It seems that Apples does not have a clue at this point. I've been in contact with support several times. But they don't seem to have any ideas. On top of the previous problems I decided to move from a Macbook 12" to a new Macbook Air. In order to do so I used Migration Assistant and a USB-C to USB-C cable. When the migration was done most of the folder that previously were unaffected changed their dates to November 15 2018 which was the day I performed the migration. And this time the results were even worse since all subfolder in the affected folders also changed date. This was not the case when I updated to Mojave. Then only the top folders, and strangely enough not all but most, were affected. And all changes were copied to iCloud, so the damage seem to be irreversible unless Apple comes up with something. I no longer have any use of sorting my work chronologically. Which is costing me a lot of time and in the long run money.

Dec 3, 2018 10:56 PM in response to AnLe41

My issue is that everything in the "Date Added" column is July 22, 2017. It will only show "2017" as the year in the first column. I cannot change it. Because of this issue, I could not find a document I had downloaded within the downloads folder until I did further searches. It doesn't seem anyone has any idea how to fix this. I have an iMac Retina 5k, 27inch, 2017. Doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Jan 3, 2019 5:09 PM in response to AnLe41

I used Migration Assistant to copy from a hard drive backup to my new MacBook Pro and… yes, many of the files came over with a Date Modified changed to the migration date -- 18,870 files to be precise. I don't see any rhyme or reason, though it seems like most of the files are older files and a LOT of folders were changed (even if the files inside them weren't).

Both the hard drive backup and the new computer had been updated to 10.14.2.

This is a huge problem for me. I will probably need to re-copy all the folders and files manually and see if that brings them back. Ugh.

Jan 24, 2019 7:12 PM in response to jszrules

I have the same problem. I found that if I change the name of the folder, hit enter, and then change it back and hit enter again the folder's date will update to the current time. The folder will retain this new date going forward but even if you save new files to it after that, it still doesn't automatically update meaning it doesn't really solve the core problem. At least by changing the folder name and then back again, I have been able to move my most folders up to the top of the date sorted folder list.

After upgrading to Mojave, most folders' time stamp is set to 1 Jan 1970

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.