Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot download preboot volume for APFS install (Macbook Pro model A1502 high sierra)

I have high sierra and i read other articals about this and it says to delete macintosh hd with macos extened journaled but no macos extended (journaled) and also I erased it APFS because thats the only one so if I try reinstalling it will say "cannot download a preboot volume and APFS file." please help!! P.S im macbook pro high sierra model A1502 will i have to go to apple store or best buy

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6), null

Posted on Sep 25, 2018 2:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2018 5:45 AM

check the DNS number provided by your Router and make sure they are the one provided by your ISP, or a public DNS like google DNS or Open DNS.

Boot from an alternate source of software such as a bootable USB-stck Installer.

Install on an external drive.

Try booting directly from the Recovery HD on your Time machine backup.

If no joy, buy an Ethernet adapter.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2018 5:45 AM in response to segura_andrew17

check the DNS number provided by your Router and make sure they are the one provided by your ISP, or a public DNS like google DNS or Open DNS.

Boot from an alternate source of software such as a bootable USB-stck Installer.

Install on an external drive.

Try booting directly from the Recovery HD on your Time machine backup.

If no joy, buy an Ethernet adapter.

Sep 26, 2018 3:38 PM in response to segura_andrew17

In Internet Recovery, these low negative thousands error messages indicate that your provided Wi-Fi Network is inadequate in some fashion, and cannot be used (for this purpose) in its current state.

Common problems include:

Hidden Network-name

required use of a proxy server to get Internet access

required use of a login page to get Internet access

Use of a login server or certificate to get Internet access

Use of PPPoE in the Mac to get Internet access (typically only applies to DSL)

Use of Fixed IP address rather than good old DHCP

Variance of the time by more than five minutes

Failure of Router to provide workable DNS server addresses, or providing 0.0.0.0 [may produce -2002f]

If you have an Ethernet port, you may in some cases be able to move your Mac close to the Router and connect to the Router using Ethernet.

The higher the number, the more obscure the problem.

Also, make certain the Date&Time and Time Zone are correct within 5 minutes.

Cannot download preboot volume for APFS install (Macbook Pro model A1502 high sierra)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.