Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SMS not working on Mojave

Since updating to Mojave, iMessage on Mac is no longer able to send or receive SMS messages. You get the red exclamation point. I tried signing out of iMessage on the Mac. And also toggling the Text Forwarding to device on the iPhone. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Sep 25, 2018 6:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2019 9:17 PM

After an hour of trying all these solutions... I found the solution!!

https://support.apple.com/guide/messages/get-sms-texts-from-iphone-on-your-mac-icht8a28bb9a/12.0/mac/10.14

Make sure both devices are logged into the same iCloud account. Then, on your phone, after setting up iMessage, click "Text Forwarding" and choose which device you would also like to send SMS messages on!

So Simple!!

156 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2019 9:17 PM in response to rhettf

After an hour of trying all these solutions... I found the solution!!

https://support.apple.com/guide/messages/get-sms-texts-from-iphone-on-your-mac-icht8a28bb9a/12.0/mac/10.14

Make sure both devices are logged into the same iCloud account. Then, on your phone, after setting up iMessage, click "Text Forwarding" and choose which device you would also like to send SMS messages on!

So Simple!!

Sep 27, 2018 6:38 AM in response to rhettf

My experience is a bit more nuanced than this on Mojave. When I send a text message to an Android user from my Mac on macOS 10.14, the message goes through — the recipient receives it successfully. But the Mac doesn't recognize this as occurring. It eventually shows the red exclamation mark, as rhettf describes. Moreover, when the recipient replies, I get the reply on my iPhone but I do not get the reply on my Mac.

In other words, on Mojave, sending an SMS technically works, but receiving does not, and neither of them work from a UI standpoint.

Sep 26, 2018 5:29 PM in response to woodmeister50

I'm experiencing the same issue since the public release.

All worked fine on final beta.

Did a fresh install to public release...

iMessages work fine fine Apple Device to Apple Device. But SMS/MMS to anyone not using iMessage results in messages not being sent.

All works well, from the XSMax... Text forwarding is turned on... I've done all suggested...

Sign in / out of iMessage

Sign in / out of iCloud

Reset network

Went as far as creating a new user (logged on with same iCloud account)

Nothing has worked...

Called tech support, after an hour of doing the same, no resolution.

iMessage works / SMS/MMS does not.

Problem is being escalated and told they will call me by Friday.

No hope!

Sep 28, 2018 3:25 PM in response to Martyn Chamberlin

Mine is behaving exactly like Martyn Chamberlin's. Same issue:

Bug: Mac shows SMS texts fail to send, but they actually do get sent which you can see on your iPhone, and you don't see replies on your Mac but you do on your iPhone.

PARTIAL SOLUTION: I noticed that "Enable Messages in iCloud" (see screenshot) was unchecked in iMessage settings after the upgrade, which it shouldn't have been. I checked it and it did correctly sync all my iMessages, and it did sync the historical SMS messages.

While that at least gets it to display accurately after it syncs, I'm still having the exact same behavior between syncs described above.

Note - Toggling forwarding on iOS didn't help: Switching on and off text message forwarding to my Mac on iOS on my iPhone didn't have any helpful effect.

User uploaded file

Oct 5, 2018 2:35 PM in response to claus237

OK - finally got it working. Only after sent me their capture data app to show the problem to their engineers. But I believe I did the following:

Mac

Message Preferences - Signed out

Turned off Bluetooth and Wifi

IPhone

Settings/Messages - toggled iMessage off

Turned off Bluetooth and WiFi

Then I went back on signed in and turned on iMessage on all devices (I had a laptop and desktop with the problem). I made sure the "You can be reached at" on the macs and YOU CAN RECEIVE IMESSAGES TO AND REPLY FROM on the iPhone was set to both my mobile number and one single AppleID that was the same on all devices (I have a couple aliases). Turned on Bluetooth and Wifi and Voila!

(well not exactly, I forgot to turn Bluetooth on the laptop and it did not work. But when I turned it on, all was good).

Now Watch works and the other weird problem I had was universal clipboard did not work. It is also now working.

Hope this works for others. I had to explain this to Apple Support as I could no longer provide the capture data for the engineers of it working as previously described.

Oct 11, 2018 6:54 AM in response to glev1

Thanks! This pointed me in the right direction to fixing the issue. I was dealing with the issue on 3 devices, my new iPhone XS, an iPad, and my MBP. The steps I took were to:

1. Sign out of iMessage on all three devices (I didn't just toggle it off, I went to "you can be reached at..." and from there tapped "sign out of iMessage" on the iPhone and iPad, and went to preferences -> sign out on the MBP.

2. I then toggled off iMessage on both the iPhone and iPad and also confirmed that iMessage was turned off under iCloud settings.

3. Then I restarted all three devices

4. Then I toggled iMessage back on on the iPhone, and signed in, and made sure iMessage was turned on in iCloud settings.

5. I then confirmed my "you can be reached at..." addresses were JUST my phone number and my main iCloud email.

6. Once everything was good on my phone, I turned iMessage back on/signed in on the MBP and then the iPad. (6a I found a conversation with a "failed to send" message on my iPad, I deleted this conversation from the iPad).

This worked for me, I can now send and receive text messages and have them sync across all my devices again.

Nov 4, 2018 5:02 PM in response to bettefrommarlton

No problem. Go to iMessages on your Mac. In the menu bar, open preferences. You should see "Save history when conversations are closed" there, as in the attached image.

If on the iMessage tab section (the blue @) you'll see a box for "Enable messages in iCloud". You can only select one or the other.

If on the iMessage tab (the blue @) you've selected "Enable messages in iCloud", then the option to select "Save history when conversations are closed" will be greyed out (un-selectable).

User uploaded file

Nov 4, 2018 5:44 PM in response to bettefrommarlton

This link might help you. https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/messages/save-or-delete-conversations-icht 1035/mac

Basically, let’s say your texting back and forth to a relative over a period of time. That’s a conversation. You should see all of the texts sent and received in iMessage to that relative on all of your devices, assuming you have more than one. Unless you delete the conversation, it should remain visible. I have conversations with individuals going back years. You might want to experiment with a text buddy. If the text buddy is on an Apple device, your texts will be in a blue bubble. Otherwise, if the text buddy is not on an Apple device, your texts will be in a green bubble.

To see archived messages, open a Finder window, hold down the option (alt) key and select Library under the Go menu. Then, in the window that opens, go to the Messages/Archive folder. You should see a lot of individual folders that contain a history of your texts that can be opened.

Hope this is helpful.

Sep 26, 2018 11:48 AM in response to Martyn Chamberlin

Martyn Chamberlin wrote:

In other words, on Mojave, sending an SMS technically works, but receiving does not, and neither of them work from a UI standpoint.

Similar to my issue. I can send all the SMS I want from my phone number

but don't receive anything for it. And my phone is an iPhone!

Messages in iCloud is not working for me as well.

BTW, all was working just fine on High Sierra (10.13.6) and the iPhone

on iOS 12.

SMS not working on Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.