Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mojave cannot install on OWC SDD (Aura)

Hi,

I'm trying to install Mojave on my 2015 Macbook Pro Retina which is upgraded with OWC SSD Aura 480GB. When trying to install I get the message that "this 3rd party HW is not supported for the install"? Does anybody have the same issue? And is there a resolution?

I contacted OWC support but no reply so far from them.

Regards,

Paul *****

[Personal Information Edited by Host]

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Sep 26, 2018 12:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2018 10:55 PM

Paul,

Here's the fix for the problem you have encountered. I too have a OWC SSD in my early 2015 macbook pro retina and encountered the same problem as you and thought there was no fix. But don't be discouraged. . there is a fix and it works beautifully.

You must install a SSD firmware update in order to install High Sierra or Mojave on yr OWC SSD. Once the firmware has been installed successfully mojave will install without any problems. I typing this msg on my macbook pro with mojave so believe me it works. If you haven't done it you'll need to reinstall your previous os which might be Sierra. That's what I did before I did the following.

First, go to this link at OWC: https://eshop.macsales.com/Service/Knowledgebase/Article/26/730/Aura-SSDs-Firmwa re-Update-beta

Then, scroll down and download the two files that are listed, the firmware utility and firmware update. Open the utility first and install it, it will create an app found in yr applications folder. Once installed, make sure you are online for the app to work. Once online go in yr applications folder and open the 'marvel utility' and a window will appear, just like the image given on the webpage. From here just follow the instructions as given. The user name is the name you entered when you created your account on your mac . . . I guess for most of us it's our name. Then enter the password you use to log into your mac. Once this is done and remember you need to be online, just follow the instructions as given and . . whamo . . . your ssd firmware will be updated. Close the app and restart yr mac and follow the instructions to ensure the update was successful by confirming the updated firmware version number.

Voila !!! You can now upgrade your beautiful mac to High Sierra or Mojave. I've got mojave installed now and the installation process went smoothly. I think it's neat.

Let me know how it goes . . . this should no doubt work for anyone who has a OWC SSD in their mac.

I await the good new from you.

regards

Alfonso

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2018 10:55 PM in response to Boska

Paul,

Here's the fix for the problem you have encountered. I too have a OWC SSD in my early 2015 macbook pro retina and encountered the same problem as you and thought there was no fix. But don't be discouraged. . there is a fix and it works beautifully.

You must install a SSD firmware update in order to install High Sierra or Mojave on yr OWC SSD. Once the firmware has been installed successfully mojave will install without any problems. I typing this msg on my macbook pro with mojave so believe me it works. If you haven't done it you'll need to reinstall your previous os which might be Sierra. That's what I did before I did the following.

First, go to this link at OWC: https://eshop.macsales.com/Service/Knowledgebase/Article/26/730/Aura-SSDs-Firmwa re-Update-beta

Then, scroll down and download the two files that are listed, the firmware utility and firmware update. Open the utility first and install it, it will create an app found in yr applications folder. Once installed, make sure you are online for the app to work. Once online go in yr applications folder and open the 'marvel utility' and a window will appear, just like the image given on the webpage. From here just follow the instructions as given. The user name is the name you entered when you created your account on your mac . . . I guess for most of us it's our name. Then enter the password you use to log into your mac. Once this is done and remember you need to be online, just follow the instructions as given and . . whamo . . . your ssd firmware will be updated. Close the app and restart yr mac and follow the instructions to ensure the update was successful by confirming the updated firmware version number.

Voila !!! You can now upgrade your beautiful mac to High Sierra or Mojave. I've got mojave installed now and the installation process went smoothly. I think it's neat.

Let me know how it goes . . . this should no doubt work for anyone who has a OWC SSD in their mac.

I await the good new from you.

regards

Alfonso

Sep 27, 2018 10:52 PM in response to Boska

HI,

Issue resolved. I got following reply from OWC:

Thank you for your email. Please make sure that your firmware is up to date ( https://eshop.macsales.com/Service/Knowledgebase/Article/10/730/Aura-SSDs-Firmwa re-Update?_ga=2.246456836.160992157.1537814817-541647972.1484600528 ) for your machine. Please be sure to back up your machine before any updates are performed. Please let me know if you have any questions.

After update of FW Mojave did install. When using the update app 1st time login for me was automatically as guest. You then need to logout and login again with your Mac admin account details. (as in explanation on the website)

Regards,

Paul.

Sep 26, 2018 10:09 AM in response to Boska

Boska wrote:

I'm trying to install Mojave on my 2015 Macbook Pro Retina which is upgraded with OWC SSD Aura 480GB. When trying to install I get the message that "this 3rd party HW is not supported for the install"? Does anybody have the same issue? And is there a resolution?

I contacted OWC support but no reply so far from them.

It is a known issue.

ref: Re: Mojave install problem.

My only recommendation would be to try a Safe Boot to clear system caches and try again, or wait for an update.

SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Oct 3, 2018 12:54 PM in response to peterh51

Pete,

check the firmware version of your ssd that the app gives you. If it is current the update option wouldn't be highlightened. And also make sure you are online.

I can't think of any other thing to tell you. I would say either call or chat with OWC about this. . . if yr firmware version is up to date then you should be able to install either high sierra or mojave.

regards

Alfonso

Oct 3, 2018 1:24 PM in response to garfonsito

Hi Alfonso

Thanks very much for your response. It seems I cannot update the firmware on my SSD except by reinserting the original Apple SSD, downloading the OS, which then updates the firmware on the Mac, then reinserting the OWC SSD and updating the OS onto that! A bit long winded, but I think that’s what I will spend tomorrow doing!

I really appreciate your thought—thanks again!

Pete

Oct 23, 2018 4:21 AM in response to Firstpresence

Hi all

Just to explain what I did, as I was planning in my last post above . I Made sure I had at least one backup with Time Machine and then I inserted the Mac SSD in the Mac Pro, and managed to upgrade that to High Sierra and then Mojave (you may be able to do this directly). I then swapped the SSD's back, reinserting the Aura into the Mac. I used Carbon Copy Clone (free trial) to clone the Mac SSD to the Aura, and this worked-the Aura was running Mojave OS 10.14. I set up my account details, then used Time Machine with Migration Assistant in Utilities to restore my files and Apps (all data except OS).

This worked when nothing else would, so I suggest you try it, ensuring you are happy with your backup.

Good luck!

Pete

Oct 23, 2018 5:50 AM in response to peterh51

Can you confirm the sequence of what you did? As I understand it it goes like this after installing Mohave on the Mac SSD:

1. Restart from the usb mounted Mac SSD.

2. Install Carbon Copy on the Mac SSD applications folder.

3. Use Carbon Copy to clone the system files to the Aura SSD

4. Restart from the Aura SSD - all works

My question is whether that's correct but also, does the Aura SSD need to be reformatted as AFPS?

Oct 23, 2018 5:58 AM in response to Firstpresence

Yes, sorry I wasn't clear enough. You are correct for the sequence, as well as reformatting the Aura once you have booted from the Mac SSD in the Envoy (presumably) enclosure). This would therefore be done before cloning the drive. After cloning the drive, check the Aura looks OK, as a new Mac would look, then it will depend on the size of your data how long the restore takes.

Pete

Nov 3, 2018 9:55 PM in response to peterh51

yes this same thing happened to me. i don't get all those options on the left either, i only get like 3 things on the left side panel, and i have NO "operation" tab. I'm wondering if my Aura is just too old to be updated. Im on a MacBook pro mid 2012 retina, auraSSD. on another note, when i installed sierra, I cloned it to an external hard drive platter which forced it into NTFS, which i then cloned back to my auraSSD. but i just did the same thing with mojave and it actually created APFS on the platter drive! which is crazy, but now knowing it is forcing APFS I'm so worried it will brick the auraSSD, as thats what happened with high sierra to a lot of people. they actually lost the whole drive.. so I'm not sure whats going on

Jan 7, 2019 4:29 AM in response to VikingOSX

Then Apple should built their ridiculous fusion drive so that it is more reliable. I for one experienced 2 seperate fusion drive failures prior to making the SSD transition. Jeez guys, when did Apple stuff start performing in this manner? We all buy your equipment because we learned to rely on it but now you are approaching windows territory. Were apple to put a reliable hard drive in their equipment, people like us might not seek SSD replacements. Fortunately OWC stepped up when you would not all be it to support sales of their drives but at least someone has answers for us.

Mar 4, 2019 12:03 PM in response to Boska

Here's what i did to solve this: My 2013 Mac Pro (6,1) has a 2TB Aura SSD. For this older SSD OWC does not provide new firmware. Upgrading or installing Mojave gives an error since it is a third party SSD. Luckily i still had the original Apple SSD. I created a standalone USB Mojave-installer and did a fresh install on the original SSD, which i temporarily installed in my nMP. After completion i carbon copy cloned this SSD to an external SSD. This external cloned SSD booted as well. I re-installed the Aura SSD back in the nMP and cloned the fresh Mojave install back onto the Aura. Success! Maybe a PRAM reset is recommended. Runs like a charm.

Mojave cannot install on OWC SDD (Aura)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.