Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Right click not working since Mojave update

The mouse right click function has not worked since I installed Mojave. Is it just me or is there a bug?

iMac, macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Sep 26, 2018 3:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2018 1:50 AM

The fix can be seen earlier in this discussion, but is as follows;

Delete the plist file 'com.apple.AppleMultitouchMouse.plist' located in

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleMultitouchMouse.plist

Restart.

Open System Preferences, Mouse.

Set secondary click to right in Mouse.

31 replies

Dec 31, 2018 5:46 PM in response to Kentishmonk

For anyone with a MacBook or MacBook Pro unless you have an external mouse you'll be dealing with this problem with the track pad. Deleting MuliTouch files from ~/Library/Preferences doesn't work since we are dealing with the track pad and not a multitouch mouse. This is the solution I found that worked:

1. Open "System Preferences --> Trackpad"
  2. My screen looked like the following:
  3. As you can see it already had set what I wanted configured: A "secondary click" with the "two fingers" tap. Yet it still didn't work as expected.
  4. After fiddling around with the settings in not just the "Point & Click" tab but with the other two tabs as well I figured out that you need to ensure the "Tap to Click" checkbox is checked. (See the following annotated image...)

Hope this helps.

Sep 26, 2018 9:33 AM in response to dialabrain

Appreciate the suggestions.

Rebooted in safe mode. Same issue.

New user. Same issue.

Mouse is an Apple Magic Mouse that came with the iMac.

External HD clone boot drive, High Sierra not Mojave, would not boot.

Neither would my TechTool 10 to go boot drive. Untested with Mojave.

My son has an identical iMac. Both have SSD upgrades and max 16GB DRAM

Today he has installed Mojave on his iMac using remote desk top. Now on his way home to see if he has the same issue. I will keep you posted 😕

Nov 20, 2018 9:19 AM in response to JenniferRules

Yippie I got it to work! But I found the answer at a different site.

For those of you who have a magic mouse, you have to delete TWO files from that pesky Library/Preferences folder.

Go to macbook - Magic Mouse not working in macOS Mojave - Ask Different and find out the second file to delete. Just be careful and don't forget to restart and enable the secondary click after restarting.

Good luck!

Jenn

Dec 4, 2018 4:30 PM in response to Kentishmonk

Thanks for your input, Kentishmonk. I tried your directions but still no right-click. Additionally tried PRAM reset, all that basic stuff, no good. Broke down and called an Apple senior advisor. This is what worked for me:

Hold down OPTION while clicking Finder>Go>Go to folder. Select LIBRARY. Search for and delete the following files:

1. Delete 'com.apple.AppleMultitouchMouse.plist' located in users, your name, Library, Preferences.

2. Delete com.apple.driver.AppleMultitouchMouse.plist

3. Delete com.apple.driver.AppleMultitouchMouse.plist.lockfile. (if it appears)

4. Restart.

5. Check to see if Rt click works; if not, go to System Preferences>mouse> and select rt click

This is what worked for me. The tech said that deleting the files, including the driver and then restarting, reinstalls the mouse driver properly. That file must have been corrupted during Mojave installation.

Hope this helps!

Right click not working since Mojave update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.