Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS Mojave & Microsoft Office 2011

I write to say that Microsoft Office 2011 will work on Mac OS Mojave.

I appreciate this is not actually a question, but I hope it is useful information to those whom use either or wish to.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Sep 26, 2018 6:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2018 10:22 AM

Thanks for this! I hate it when people ask this question and then someone replies with a link to official support or whatever saying "they stopped supporting it with High Sierra". Nobody asked if it's officially supported. We just want to know if IT WORKS! So thank you for pointing this out.

51 replies

Dec 1, 2018 11:41 AM in response to Community User

Sorry guys MS Office 2011 and 2008 both work fine under Mojave 100%, but you cannot install it via Mojave. I've had MS Office running on this machine since 10.9, maybe earlier, and just done the Apple updates to Mojave and it works fine. Please see picture. I almost exclusively use MS office 2008 as I way prefer the floating tool boxes that save hours of my time when writing! But scrolling hovered over the app but not on the app is only 2011 and above. So they both work fine! User uploaded file

Dec 1, 2018 11:16 PM in response to rhorngraphics

I would be very interested to know if migration assistant works for you with MS Office 2011 or 2008. It clearly works for me but I am using an older but max'd Mac Mini QC late 2012 so it supports 32 bit apps from the start. However, your new machine starts with Mojave so may not?

User uploaded file

'Migration Assistant' and TM backups cannot be done while computer is in sleep mode, so my guess is your screen sleeps (only the screen part) after the backup is complete. But you could check the time of last backup on TM and double check by entering a back up and see if a file from yesterday is there?

Apple Menu / System Preferences / Time Machine

Oct 2, 2018 10:37 AM in response to Domc1000000

Greetings to you all and please accept my apologies for the late reply.

In answer to Domc:

I have certainly loaded Excel and all appears to work, but I mostly use Word.

In terms of this discussion:

Also in case this is relevant to anyone; I clean installed Mac OS Mojave. I also clean installed Microsoft Office 2011 and applied the latest update. I have kept the ….dmg files for both; hence a clean install was possible. I do not know whether the Microsoft website still allows one to download these files and in the United Kingdom art least only a product key is supplied, there is no physical media. This is the reason I have kept the ….dmg files. On another note I would recommend keeping ….dmg files for all older software, as once it reaches end of life, it often gets removed.

Incidentally, activation may not work automatically, so a single phone call may be required to Microsoft to activate the software. The alphanumeric codes work again with the same product key so simply screenshot the codes in case re-installation is ever needed.

Thus, yes it all appears to work in Mac OS Mojave, I am sorry to hear some people have had problems in achieving this.

With thanks and best wishes,

CK-Mac

Oct 2, 2018 11:04 AM in response to Community User

The reason they give the link that it stopped supporting it with (place OS version here) is the Application may work true, the application may also leave the front door to your mac wide open for everyone and anyone to walk right in and take what they want.

The mention of it not being supported with (OS version) is NOT to say the App won't work, it's attempting to tell you that if you install it on an unsupported OS and that doing so may allow easily exploitable vulnerabilities in the OS that won't be plugged, because it's not supported on that OS. Or suddenly the app stops working all together, unfortunately, that's on you.

Not Apple, Not Microsoft.

I won't use an app on an unsupported OS for that reason. The school of hard knocks is painful, and can be very costly. But, gamble if you wish.

Oct 2, 2018 11:19 AM in response to wizbang_fl

Ah, yes thank you so much for your information Wizbang_fl.

I have to say this has occurred to me too, today. Whilst I am pleased Microsoft Office works on Mac OS Mojave as thats the only version of that Microsoft Office software I have I completely accept your points; having a secure installation is far more important to me. I also established that for my own personal use I no longer require Microsoft Office; I did require it for various reasons previously, hence I decided to see if it would work on Mac OS Mojave. However it is no longer absolutely necessary to read or create word files natively, at least it's not for me.

I have now clean installed Mac OS Sierra, and installed nothing further; no none Apple applications, at all.

I am now using Apple's Office suite as that is supported and meets my needs.

Also, for what it's worth, my Mac Book Pro (mid-2012) is the oldest able to run Mac OS Mojave. Maybe once the bugs and other things reported elsewhere on this forum are completely sorted I will upgrade again, but for now it's Mac OS Sierra and Apple Office for me.

Oct 4, 2018 5:23 AM in response to Community User

Yes - thanks again to CK-Mac.

I have now upgraded to Mojave and Excel 2011 is working just as before. I wouldn't have been able to risk doing that without this forum / answer.

Yes I understand there might be a security risk (although without being an expert I think that this is probably manageable for opening your own excel / ppt files etc. For most stuff I would use Office 365, but frustratingly Excel 365 still does not include the ability to make your own userforms - so if you've done any development and need these then continuing to operate Excel 2011 is your only option [other than buying a windows computer or trying to create userforms in code which is a complete waste of time].

Cheers, Domc

Oct 4, 2018 8:23 AM in response to Robert Pater

Office 2011 is not supported and may leave you in a vulnerable position. Heed the warning and only use supported versions of software. If you want to flirt with insecure installations then you should be posting in sites that support system modifications and security workarounds. If you block "incoming" then many apps will no longer work not to mention your Internet connection.

Microsoft Office support for macOS 10.14 Mojave - Office Support

Oct 22, 2018 4:21 PM in response to Community User

Machine: MacAir.

Program: new Mojave.

Problem: 2011 Office for Mac (despite MS claiming Mojave was comparable with 2011).

Situation: Before installing Mojave, I followed Microsoft's instructions to update and upgrade I did a normal backup onto external hard drive then downloaded MS update for 2011, created specifically to prep for Mojave.

Result: Office for Mac loaded new versions of Word and PPTX that have problems.

Issue: Load asks for proof of original purchase and for old emails from that era (now all changed of course!).

BUT: MS does not provided anywhere to enter the original purchase data or code.

Outcomes: New versions of Word and PPTX can't be accessed AND you are locked out of all your data.

Workaround: The old Word and PPTX apps are still in the dock and still work, so by loading these and then searching for the required docs you can open them.

Fix urgently needed: MS needs to fix the code entry system to allow access to the new apps by legitimate, honest clients. Also, MS should sack the idiot who failed to think this whole thing through.

Help: Anyone got any fixes, advice, ideas?

Oct 24, 2018 12:10 AM in response to Community User

It's all very well and sensible to say do what they say. But not everyone has a choice ...

I'm an author and each book can take several years to complete. I started the current volume on Word for Mac 2011 about three and a half years ago. Evben at, it is a very slimmed down programme compared to the version I had for Windows before changing everything to Macs.

Word for Mac has always been buggy. Whether on my Mac Pro, new iMac or my Macbook. Even with latestupdayes it always crashed a lot with very big documents (1000 page books) and it hogs resources. On top of that I have a near 100 page index and bibliography in three languages and a couple of thousand or so footnotes and a lot of style formatting, automatic headers and so on.

When they bring out a new release they love to tell how pretty it will look, but there is little information for professional users. I read the blogs and forums trying to decide whether to upgrade to Word 2016 but it seemed the main problems hadn't been fixed so I could potentially be worse off.

My only option with my Mac OS upgrades is to run Mojave on my second most necessary machine and see how bad (or good) it is. Changing OS and programs in a big way in the middle of a 4yr+ project is a harrowing option

Oct 24, 2018 5:58 AM in response to sentilinadho

Hey, I'm not addressing the main topic but I have a suggestion for you as an author that may help you out. I also am a novelist and had similar problems with my first novel getting so long that word didn't work well. I switched to scrivener which is only 45 dollars and is made for novelists. Made a huge difference for me. I won't waste time explaining it, you can Google it and go to their website to find out more (I don't work for them, I just love it!). There is a learning curve at first but if you give yourself a few days to go through the tutorial document that comes with the app then you will know enough to get started and it isn't as hard as it seemed at first. Best thing is you can get a free tutorial that remains active for 30 days, so that's plenty of time to decide if it is right for you. I have written two novels in it so far and I won't go back to anything else for long document writing. When you are finished you can compile it back into a word doc to send to editors. I wouldn't recommend totally getting rid of word though, as you would need it to check the formatting and such after converting. Anyways I thought I would recommend it, give it a shot, the trial version is free and you don't need to give any credit card info or anything so you won't need to worry about getting charged at the end of the trial run

Mac OS Mojave & Microsoft Office 2011

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.