Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fall detection false trigger

I talked my mom into upgrading to the Apple Watch Series 4 specifically for the fall detection feature. On her 2nd day of owning it, she already had a false trigger and is ready to turn the feature off.

The "fall" was actually just her taking the watch off, and setting it down on a counter.

Shouldn't the watch be able to detect if it is even being worn when monitoring for falls???

Apple Watch Series 4, watchOS 5

Posted on Sep 26, 2018 8:39 AM

76 replies

Feb 28, 2019 3:04 AM in response to ingleberg

I agree that an unworn Apple Watch should not trigger a false alarm.

After re-reading Apple's description of fall detection:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208944

I no longer consider my two false alarms an issue at all. Many cases described here are also nuisance alarms that as Apple designed it, will not call in emergency services even if no action is taken by the wearer. In my cases, I was moving and no such action would be taken.

However, if an unworn watch can trigger a false alarm (pet knocking down or whatever), then the un-moving watch could trigger emergency services. That is a minor concern that Apple should engineer around.

Still digging the little device. I derided it quite a bit when they were announced. Not any more.

Oct 29, 2018 11:46 AM in response to ingleberg

I am also finding false fall positives on my Series 4 - and it is repeatable.

First, I have triggered fall detection multiple times when in putting on the watch, it slips out of my hand as I am putting it on. It falls to the floor and triggers fall detection.

Second, the Watch repeatably will trigger fall detection when I am gesturing during making presentations.

Dec 8, 2018 12:10 PM in response to virgilfromcypress

Now I'm up to a "Senior Apple Watch Advisor", which I guess is above a "Senior Customer Service Representative".

She is contacting the engineering department to see if I should get a replacement. This should only take 4-5 days...

She claims that the software in the watch is "learning" my movements and should improve over time.

I haven't tried chopping up garlic. I'm afraid to!!!

This is never ending.....

Feb 15, 2019 6:36 AM in response to virgilfromcypress

I don't think you're having a hardware problem at all. I think Apple's "fall detection" just isn't close to being ready for prime time. I'm totally disgusted with the feature.

I've got a friend with Parkinsons. His hands shake. He regularly gets a false fall detection just from hand shake, but since he has the watch has actually fallen hard four times and when he fell the watch didn't detect any of them.

My Apple Watch has given me several dozen false alarms. Any time I clap my hands together hard over my head at a concert it goes off. About 10-20% of the time when I'm in the kitchen chopping through poultry, smashing garlic, or shaking a half gallon of OJ hard it gives me a false alarm. This is totally reproducable. But the two times I've fallen hard, both from tripping over something on the floor in the middle of the night, it doesn't detect a fall.

Apple won't admit it, but they need to acknowledge they must work on fall detection and get it to actually work. The false alarms are annoying, but the falls, including the one I had last night which resulted in my head hitting the bed frame hard that weren't detected means this feature is an abject failure.

Feb 26, 2019 7:44 AM in response to Philly_Phan

With all due respect. That's an absurd suggestion. It's one of the two major reasons I plunked down the cash for the watch.

What should happen is that Apple should get it to actually learn and work properly. The feature will never be perfect. That's a given, but it should work a whole lot better than it does. In fact it has never picked up an actual fall for me. It only thinks I've fallen when I'm still standing.

Moreover, considering the number of watches Apple has apparently replaced over this problem, they know it needs a lot of work. I'm hoping they will replace mine when I go to the store next week, but I don't have a lot of confidence, speaking to others, that it will make much of a difference considering the false-positive problem.

Feb 26, 2019 7:15 AM in response to Philly_Phan

That could very well be that the rapid downward motion makes the detection system think a fall has occurred. In fact, I'm sure that's true.

Having said that, permit me to point out some problems assuming that fact.

1. The motion is only a foot at most for anyone. I even measured my drop from a video taken and it was 12 inches max and a mean of 10 inches. One would hope that the watch wouldn't consider 10-12 inches of movement a fall. Even if you were sitting and fell out of the chair, wouldn't you have fallen more than a foot generally.
  2. Shouldn't the watch know by now that my chopping motion isn't a fall after I've told the watch each time that I didn't fall.
  3. The constant fall detections and telling it I didn't fall without improvement in the area of false-positives indicates to me that the watch is failing to learn.
  4. The lack of knowing I have fallen, when I first tripped and fell thrice since getting the watch and then noticing it didn't detect the falls, purposely falling about a dozen times without detection tells me the software needs significant rewriting and that the base algorithm is faulty as is the AI component since it doesn't seem to learn.

Oct 29, 2018 2:04 PM in response to ingleberg

I had that happen once - took watch off and placed on dresser before going into the shower - and also luckily my wife heard the notification and brought me the Watch to ask what to do.

But, that happened within the first few days of getting the series 4 Watch and has not happened since, so perhaps there is a calibration period for the accelerometer that is what detects the "falls". (Hope so anyway.)

Oct 29, 2018 2:44 PM in response to swandy

This happened to me just recently. And is repeatable. So not fixed yet.

I think clearly a software bug. I also get false positives on fall detection from gesturing during presentations that I give. Repeatable.

Second level Apple tech support aware and reported to Engineering. No real advice yet.

I was advised to do a reset of calibrations: Watch->Privacy->Reset Fitness Calibration Data.

Now ... my Watch is also reporting wildly wrong pulse rates during certain exercise activities ... also repeatable. Even though pulse rate is largely accurate ... but not always.

These are software issues that should be reported to Apple.

Nov 17, 2018 12:13 PM in response to ingleberg

This fall detection problem had happened a third time. I've contacted Apple support level 2. The problem had been passed on to the engineers. I've given them permission to track my iPhone and Apple watch. They don't know if it's a software problem on a hardware problem. With so few people experiencing this problem I'm inclined to think it a hardware problem. In any event it could be an Apple problem. This issue could blow the series 4 out of the water. Fall detection is one of their main selling points for the series 4.

Dec 1, 2018 10:53 AM in response to virgilfromcypress

The fall detection failed again. This time I clapped my hands to get my dogs attention. Apple "Customer Service" said "no new watch", but rather required that I send the watch to Apple for inspection and repair. They couldn't repeat my fall detection problem. The techs at Apple updated the internal software and returned the watch to me. It hasn't failed again yet. Apple Customer Service called yesterday to see how the watch was performing..nice! So far no more problems.

Dec 7, 2018 9:56 AM in response to virgilfromcypress

The continuing saga of the Apple Watch Series 4 fall detection. I opened my car door and received a false fall detection alert.

This is the fifth false alert. Of the 5 alerts 3 have been all different movements. I've reached out again to Apple Customer Support. I've not heard back. I think it's time to replace the watch. I hope Apple thinks so also!

Dec 22, 2018 10:59 AM in response to virgilfromcypress

I've have my series 4 for less than 2 weeks and this is exactly how my first fall detection was triggered last night. I almost ignored the wrist buzz, good thing I didn't so I was able to cancel the 911 call. If this happens again I may return it. Fall detection was one reason to buy it (along with a host of even better reasons).

Maybe another example of oversold technology from Apple.

Fall detection false trigger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.