Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mojave dvd player won't open dvdmedia files ......boo!!!

mojave dvd player won't open dvdmedia files....... boo!!

this was supposed to be an upgrade!

Mac mini, macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Sep 26, 2018 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2018 2:35 PM

.dvdmedia files are not the proper format that DVD players would typically read. Proper DVD file structure consists of AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders with .ifo,.bup and .vop files inside.

.dvdmedia files are usually created by DVD rippers so that's why there would be compatibility issues. Apple's Quicktime and stock apps are limited to playback specific formats and nothing else. To save space and get similar results, it is better to rip them to x264 or MPEG4. You will get small files around 700MB-1.4GB with nearly the same quality as a 4.7GB DVD.

However, VLC Player, is able to play any and all video and audio codecs available and will play 99% of the stuff you throw at it. It is open source free software and I think it is essential on any Mac. On Windows computers, you can install codec packs system wide that allow you to play every file type in the stock Windows Media Player or any other similar players on your machine. Apple does not allow codecs to be installed like this neither on macOS nor iOS. Everything is contained inside each .app package.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2018 2:35 PM in response to billuq

.dvdmedia files are not the proper format that DVD players would typically read. Proper DVD file structure consists of AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders with .ifo,.bup and .vop files inside.

.dvdmedia files are usually created by DVD rippers so that's why there would be compatibility issues. Apple's Quicktime and stock apps are limited to playback specific formats and nothing else. To save space and get similar results, it is better to rip them to x264 or MPEG4. You will get small files around 700MB-1.4GB with nearly the same quality as a 4.7GB DVD.

However, VLC Player, is able to play any and all video and audio codecs available and will play 99% of the stuff you throw at it. It is open source free software and I think it is essential on any Mac. On Windows computers, you can install codec packs system wide that allow you to play every file type in the stock Windows Media Player or any other similar players on your machine. Apple does not allow codecs to be installed like this neither on macOS nor iOS. Everything is contained inside each .app package.

Oct 23, 2018 10:31 AM in response to lec0rsaire

> .dvdmedia files are not the proper format that DVD players would typically read.

The OP isn't asking about burning a DVD to play in a standalone DVD player like you would get at Best Buy. Ever since at least Mac OS X 10.6, you could have a folder, eg. "MyMovie", that contains a VIDEO_TS folder, and then rename that folder "MyMovie.dvdmedia", and macOS/OS X would treat it as a bundle. If you double click on it, it will launch the built-in DVD player app. That functionality is gone in Mojave. I guess when they re-wrote the DVD player as a 64-bit app, they left out that feature.

User uploaded file

> To save space and get similar results, it is better to rip them to x264 or MPEG4.

> You will get small files around 700MB-1.4GB with nearly the same quality as a 4.7GB DVD.

Space is cheap. Space is not a concern. Leaving them as .dvdmedia files lets you access ALL of the features on the DVD, including subtitles, foreign language audio, and video other than the main movie.

Oct 13, 2018 2:33 PM in response to hencque

You must not be running Mojave - that's how DVD Player did work in every previous version of macOS/Mac OS X.

I couldn't do it unless I changed .dvdmedia file into a folder. This is trivial but a pain if you have hundreds of DVDs (my entire PAL collection):

In Finder on .dvdmedia file right click, Show Package Contents and copy the VIDEO_TS folder into a new Folder with the same name that your VIDEO_TS file had. (Keeping the same name isn't necessary but lessens possible confusion.) Then delete the .dvdmedia file which has lost all its content. Your new Folder will play fine in DVD Player

Oct 13, 2018 6:11 PM in response to hencque

Not sure why you would give them that extension rather than running through the encoding with iDVD (which will result in a playable and burnable media file). Having said that, once they've been encoded and burned to a DVD, you do need to run them through a converter - I've always had to (and my go-to app was/is MPEG Streamclip).

mojave dvd player won't open dvdmedia files ......boo!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.