Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone XS Max is asking for a passcode that I never setup to use FaceID. What do I do?

Received my brand new iPhone XS Max today. When I activated on Xfinity Mobile, my iPad assisted me in setting up the phone as it detected a new Apple device. My iPad asked for my old passcode from my iPhone 5s that is being replaced. So, I went through the process of setting up my NEW iPhone XS Max from the "Hello" screen, input my language, country, etc. When I got to FaceID I successfully processed my face structure into the phone. Never has the XS Max asked for a passcode. So, I continued with banking/wallet setup and the rest.

Now, it asks for a passcode to unlock FaceID. 😕

I try my old 5S passcode - doesn't work. 😐

I try my iPad Pro passcode - doesn't work. 😮

Which passcode does it want? It never asked me for one during the initial setup. Please, advise.

Posted on Sep 26, 2018 11:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2018 1:56 PM

Ok, I will answer my own question. After doing some research on youtube, I found the only way to fix this is to restore the iphone to factory and start all over again with the setup. Here is a youtube video that helped me --> How to Reset & Restore Apple iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, & iPhone X - Factory Reset (Forgot Passcode) - YouTube. But, make sure the PC/Mac you have has the latest iTunes update as you will be using iTunes to restore/update your iPhone.

Now to stop this from ever happening to you:

BEFORE you setup your new XS iPhone, please, listen up. As you are going through the initial setup and you get to FACE ID part, DO NOT HIT "CONTINUE". Click on the link below that's called "Setup later in settings". Continue to setup your passcode. When you're done you will NOW HAVE ACCESS TO YOUR PHONE. Once inside you can setup Face ID.

Don't be like me and lose a whole day of troubleshooting. Good luck.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2018 1:56 PM in response to MikeDiezel

Ok, I will answer my own question. After doing some research on youtube, I found the only way to fix this is to restore the iphone to factory and start all over again with the setup. Here is a youtube video that helped me --> How to Reset & Restore Apple iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, & iPhone X - Factory Reset (Forgot Passcode) - YouTube. But, make sure the PC/Mac you have has the latest iTunes update as you will be using iTunes to restore/update your iPhone.

Now to stop this from ever happening to you:

BEFORE you setup your new XS iPhone, please, listen up. As you are going through the initial setup and you get to FACE ID part, DO NOT HIT "CONTINUE". Click on the link below that's called "Setup later in settings". Continue to setup your passcode. When you're done you will NOW HAVE ACCESS TO YOUR PHONE. Once inside you can setup Face ID.

Don't be like me and lose a whole day of troubleshooting. Good luck.

Iphone XS Max is asking for a passcode that I never setup to use FaceID. What do I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.