Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrating from iphoto to photos

I'm running a mid-2015 macbook pro with a OS X 10.10.3. I transferred all my data and programs to this new computer from my old macbook hard drive using Time Machine. I have all my photos on the new machine in iPhoto. Should I move them into Photos or leave them where they are? If I should move them how do I do it? (And what are the advantages of Photos vs. iPhoto? Thanks.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Sep 26, 2018 1:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2018 1:32 PM

Although iPhoto 9.6.1 will work in Mojave it's and end of life application and will eventually become incompatible with the system. i would do the following just prior to upgrading to Mojave :

1 - with your current iPhoto library launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and run the following First Aid routines on the library: 1 - rebuild the database; 2 - repair library permissions.

2 - when you're ready to start using your new Mac, copy the "repaired" iPhoto library to the Pictures folder of you new Mac.

3 - drag the iPhoto library onto the Photos icon in the dock to begin the migration to Photos.

4- When the migration is complete you can begin using Photos full time. I would keep the iPhoto app (if it's 9.6.1) and library for a couple of month till you're absolutely sure all photos and videos have been migrated correctly. Then you can delete the iPhoto library. Better yet archive the library and iPhoto app to an external HD just in cas.

These user tips will help you make the transition from iPhoto to Photos:

Notes on Migrating an iPhoto Library from iPhoto to Photos for Mac

Moments in Photos are the New Events

Photos 4.0 vs iPhoto 9.6.1: Features and Capabilities

External Editors in Photos Are Here

User uploaded file

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2018 1:32 PM in response to paolo4mac

Although iPhoto 9.6.1 will work in Mojave it's and end of life application and will eventually become incompatible with the system. i would do the following just prior to upgrading to Mojave :

1 - with your current iPhoto library launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and run the following First Aid routines on the library: 1 - rebuild the database; 2 - repair library permissions.

2 - when you're ready to start using your new Mac, copy the "repaired" iPhoto library to the Pictures folder of you new Mac.

3 - drag the iPhoto library onto the Photos icon in the dock to begin the migration to Photos.

4- When the migration is complete you can begin using Photos full time. I would keep the iPhoto app (if it's 9.6.1) and library for a couple of month till you're absolutely sure all photos and videos have been migrated correctly. Then you can delete the iPhoto library. Better yet archive the library and iPhoto app to an external HD just in cas.

These user tips will help you make the transition from iPhoto to Photos:

Notes on Migrating an iPhoto Library from iPhoto to Photos for Mac

Moments in Photos are the New Events

Photos 4.0 vs iPhoto 9.6.1: Features and Capabilities

External Editors in Photos Are Here

User uploaded file

Migrating from iphoto to photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.