Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

reset safari to "factory default"

I want to clear all of my bookmarks, history, cookies, cache, downloads, preferences, etc. from safari, in other words restoring it to the exact same as it was when I got the machine.
Is there anyway I could do this?
Thanks in advance for replying.
joshz

17" iMac 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1G DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz 160GB hard drive Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Feb 14, 2007 2:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2007 1:15 AM

Hi Joshz

To bring Safari back to its original state:

In the Finder, go to your User Account>Library: drag to the trash the following folders or files (in bold):
Safari folder (holds bookmarks, history, download history, site icons)
Caches> Safari folder
Caches>Metadata> Safari folder
Cookies> Cookies.plist file
Preferences> com.apple.safari.plist file (preferences)

Empty trash and restart Safari. Safari will now reflect default values.

iMac G5 Rev C 20" 2.5gb RAM 250 gb HD/iBook G4 1.33 ghz 1.5gb RAM 40 gb HD Mac OS X (10.4.8) LaCie 160gb d2 HD Canon i960 printer, Airport Express (2 units)
10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2007 1:15 AM in response to joshz

Hi Joshz

To bring Safari back to its original state:

In the Finder, go to your User Account>Library: drag to the trash the following folders or files (in bold):
Safari folder (holds bookmarks, history, download history, site icons)
Caches> Safari folder
Caches>Metadata> Safari folder
Cookies> Cookies.plist file
Preferences> com.apple.safari.plist file (preferences)

Empty trash and restart Safari. Safari will now reflect default values.

iMac G5 Rev C 20" 2.5gb RAM 250 gb HD/iBook G4 1.33 ghz 1.5gb RAM 40 gb HD Mac OS X (10.4.8) LaCie 160gb d2 HD Canon i960 printer, Airport Express (2 units)

Feb 15, 2007 9:00 AM in response to joshz

While you can select "reset Safari" to eliminate some of the data, the suggestion I gave you is a bit longer, but totally thorough. There won't be any trace. When you empty the trash, go to the Finder and select "Secure Empty Trash". This way the files are gone.

And yes, when you create a new preference file, default bookmarks, and an Apple home page are included in the default values.

reset safari to "factory default"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.