Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone XS max - green phone app freezing. Already tried soft resets

Recently purchased iPhone XS max - all apps work fine except the green phone app. It freezes and won’t allow me to make calls from here or check VM. Already tried restarting and soft resets. It will work for about one call then freezes again.

Posted on Sep 26, 2018 7:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2018 5:59 AM

Right, all. This is how you fix the issue. (Went through this fix with apple technical and it works)

1) Factory reset via Settings, then General, then Reset (erase all content and settings option)

2) When starting your phone again, DONT pick quick start via pairing old phone and don’t download from iCloud. ONLY pick ‘start/set up as new iphone’

3) After picking ‘set up as new iPhone’ and the iPhone set up is complete, THEN you can sign into iCloud and Download all your stuff!

The reason why the phone app was freezing before the above method is because of you DONT set up as a new iPhone and instead try sign immediately into iCloud or pair with your old phone (quick start) then there’s a glitch with the phone app. Apple KNOW this yet haven’t released any official statement but when you go through technical support they admit it and give you the above instructions to rectify it and it works

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2018 5:59 AM in response to Atoates

Right, all. This is how you fix the issue. (Went through this fix with apple technical and it works)

1) Factory reset via Settings, then General, then Reset (erase all content and settings option)

2) When starting your phone again, DONT pick quick start via pairing old phone and don’t download from iCloud. ONLY pick ‘start/set up as new iphone’

3) After picking ‘set up as new iPhone’ and the iPhone set up is complete, THEN you can sign into iCloud and Download all your stuff!

The reason why the phone app was freezing before the above method is because of you DONT set up as a new iPhone and instead try sign immediately into iCloud or pair with your old phone (quick start) then there’s a glitch with the phone app. Apple KNOW this yet haven’t released any official statement but when you go through technical support they admit it and give you the above instructions to rectify it and it works

Oct 5, 2018 6:30 AM in response to DDBeaufort

Thanks for the work around.

For a device that cost me £1,200 that’s a very time consuming and lengthy process I’m not willing to do.

I have moved back to my old iPhone 6 and await an offical response and fix rather than doing the work around.

The whole point of restoring from backup is to make it easy and quick to switch phones - the solution posted is a work around, not a fix. Apple need to sort out the issue, inform customers there is a BIG problem (currently) with their new device, and advise customers that have already purchased when a FIX is expected.

Until then, I will not be using my new phone.

PLEASE CAN NO ONE EDIT THIS POST. THIS IS A FORUM, AND THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANT TO SAY.

iPhone XS max - green phone app freezing. Already tried soft resets

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.