Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

record system audio in Mojave's video screen capture

The only option to record sound in the video capture app in Mojave is to use the microphone. That means one records the TV or radio playing in the room, or a phone ringing or a phone conversation rather than just the video from the website one is watching and recording. Does anyone know a way to invoke a system audio capture without using the over-reaching microphone option? Thank you.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Sep 27, 2018 3:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2018 4:11 AM

There is a free solution for this. It may sound complicated, but be pacient. It really works great, and you only need a little bit of preparation, once, and you'll be set.

I use SoundFlower. It provides virtual input and output audio devices and allows to pipe your mac's audio output to its input. This way you can record whatever sound comes out of your mac without also capturing the sounds in your environment.

SoundFlower can be downloaded for free, from the author, Matt Ingalls:

https://github.com/mattingalls/Soundflower/releases/

Once installed, you can just select your output and your input to Soundflower, then play any sound and record it.

There is a slight inconvenient with this: you won't hear it while recording.

To overcome this, you go to the Audio Midi Setup application (already on your mac), and create a Multi-output device. Include both Soundflower and the built-in output in this device. Then just use it for output: all the audio will be simultaneously played on your normal output and also sent to Soundflower.

User uploaded file

Try it!

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2018 4:11 AM in response to botcha

There is a free solution for this. It may sound complicated, but be pacient. It really works great, and you only need a little bit of preparation, once, and you'll be set.

I use SoundFlower. It provides virtual input and output audio devices and allows to pipe your mac's audio output to its input. This way you can record whatever sound comes out of your mac without also capturing the sounds in your environment.

SoundFlower can be downloaded for free, from the author, Matt Ingalls:

https://github.com/mattingalls/Soundflower/releases/

Once installed, you can just select your output and your input to Soundflower, then play any sound and record it.

There is a slight inconvenient with this: you won't hear it while recording.

To overcome this, you go to the Audio Midi Setup application (already on your mac), and create a Multi-output device. Include both Soundflower and the built-in output in this device. Then just use it for output: all the audio will be simultaneously played on your normal output and also sent to Soundflower.

User uploaded file

Try it!

Sep 28, 2018 7:49 AM in response to Exxplora2

I have SoundFlower working in Mojave just fine.

I did not try installing, I already had it on my mac, so maybe it is a problem with the installer. The fact that the webpage does not mention Mojave does not mean it won't work. It was written before Mojave existed and was not updated (perhaps because it has not been fully tested).

What exactly is failing?

If you just double-click the pkg file it will not let you run, saying it is from an "unidentified developer". Instead, control-click and choose Open. You will see a window like the one below. If you click Open, it should proceed.

Or perhaps you did all this already, and the installer failed later on?

I am not going to try it now, since I already have it and it is working. Please explain where and how it is failing. I hope you get it working too.

User uploaded file

Sep 29, 2018 7:14 AM in response to Exxplora2

Hello Exxplora2

I had the same experience when I tried to install it three times. At the very last moment, after several steps have registered, Mojave aborts the installation. It was improperly installed even though I followed the instructions explicitly and even went to the Soundflower site and followed their instructions as well. I will try the latest suggestion of using Audio Hijack or Screenflick and see if that helps. I think the new screen capturer utility is great but leaving out the ability to record system audio is a major mistake, in my view.

Sep 29, 2018 9:39 AM in response to dialabrain

Hello Dialabrain

My question was not about recording audio in Mojave. It was about recording system audio in the new screen capture utility in Mojave which only allows using the microphone to capture all ambient audio, whereas I want to capture system audio only when using the video capture portion of the new screenshot utility. Thank you.

Sep 30, 2018 9:26 AM in response to botcha

botcha wrote:

Hello Dialabrain

My question was not about recording audio in Mojave. It was about recording system audio in the new screen capture utility in Mojave which only allows using the microphone to capture all ambient audio, whereas I want to capture system audio only when using the video capture portion of the new screenshot utility. Thank you.

That is a feature that was never present in the OS; third party utilities like Soundflower and AudioHijack are what people have been using for years. Sure, Apple could have implemented if they wanted to, but I can see two reason why they wouldn't: 1) the people who want to do it have ways to; 2) this feature can be easily abused to copy audio for which there are copyright issues.

Jan 8, 2019 7:05 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I confirm that Soundflower can be installed in OSX Mojave following the method described above by Luis Sequeira1

It worked for me but only after four attempts, persistence pays off.

"double-click the pkg file it will not let you run, saying it is from an "unidentified developer". Instead,

control-click and choose Open. You will see a window like the one below. If you click Open, it should proceed" ... plus

I would recommend also doing the following:

Open system Preferences / security & privacy

you may see a warning saying - "an attempt to install 'soundflower' by 3rd party developer was blocked"

click on (install anyway)

and in the same window you may also see:

"some system software was blocked from loading" click (Allow)

A list of blocked developer names will probably include "M INGLES" so tick the check box to allow installation

Run the installer again

if it still fails

Run the installer again

Apple corporation are rightly concerned about unscrupulous copying of copyright content, particularly popular music,

so my guess is they would make it difficult to install the tools for the job, but there are some legitimate reasons for capturing system audio, so the obstruction is merely a deterrent, not an outright ban.

Jan 8, 2019 7:07 AM in response to botcha

I confirm that Soundflower can be installed in OSX Mojave following the method described above

by Luis Sequeira1

It worked for me but only after four attempts, persistence pays off.

"double-click the pkg file it will not let you run, saying it is from an "unidentified developer". Instead,

control-click and choose Open. You will see a window like the one below. If you click Open, it should proceed" ... plus

I would recommend also doing the following:

Open system Preferences / security & privacy

you may see a warning saying - "an attempt to install 'soundflower' by 3rd party developer was blocked"

click on (install anyway)

and in the same window you may also see:

"some system software was blocked from loading" click (Allow)

A list of blocked developer names will probably include "M INGLES" so tick the check box to allow installation

Run the installer again

if it still fails

Run the installer again

Apple corporation are rightly concerned about unscrupulous copying of copyright content, particularly popular music,

so my guess is they would make it difficult to install the tools for the job, but there are some legitimate reasons for capturing system audio, so the obstruction is merely a deterrent, not an outright ban.

record system audio in Mojave's video screen capture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.