Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

icloud photos - formatting error

New iMac being setup. Opened photos and went to turn on iCloud Photos and getting this error:

"iCloud Photos is only available on macOS Standard, macOS Extended and APFS formatted volumes."

To check the format of a volume, select the volume in the Finder and choose Get Info from the File menu. The type of volume appears in the Format field.

This is a new 21" iMac with Fusion drive. It is formatted as APFS. Unsure of why I am getting this error and cannot turn on the cloud photo sharing.

iMac, iOS 12

Posted on Sep 27, 2018 5:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2018 5:49 PM

OK, I just got off the phone with Apple Support and it was much easier than it seems.

First, shut down. Then reboot, and then immediately hold the Command+R, until you see the progress bar, then release.

Then, you should get a screen that has 4 choices - choose the bottom one - Disk Utility.

Select your HD on left and run "First Aid" (first button in center menu). It should take a few minutes to run.

Once complete, restart from apple menu, and sign in as normal. Your iCloud Photos should be working.

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2018 5:49 PM in response to Brad2610a

OK, I just got off the phone with Apple Support and it was much easier than it seems.

First, shut down. Then reboot, and then immediately hold the Command+R, until you see the progress bar, then release.

Then, you should get a screen that has 4 choices - choose the bottom one - Disk Utility.

Select your HD on left and run "First Aid" (first button in center menu). It should take a few minutes to run.

Once complete, restart from apple menu, and sign in as normal. Your iCloud Photos should be working.

Oct 7, 2018 12:11 PM in response to bbf2

I just discovered the same issue on my iMac15,1 after upgrading to Mojave. I do have an external drive, which was not formatted as APFS but this isn't used by Photos.app. I used Disk Utility to change it from HFS+ to APFS and it claimed to have failed, although the format now reports back as APFS... I seem to have fixed the issue by deleting the login keychain and also anything related to Photos and iCloud Photos in ~/Library/Containers.

User uploaded file

Photos appear to be syncing to my iPhone, but Photos.app on the iMac is now uploading almost 50k images to iCloud...

Sep 28, 2018 4:08 AM in response to Brad2610a

Brad, I have a similar iMac with Fusion drive and haven't seen this. Like Léonie I'm at a loss and can offer only two suggestions: 1) Call AppleCare, perhaps with all the calls they've had since Mojave's release this has come up a time or two. 2) if the darn thing is complaining about the format, after a complete backup go through the hassle of wiping the drive, reformatting, and restoring from the backup. (I'm cringing at this suggestion so go for #1 first unless someone else pops in with an idea.)

Oct 4, 2018 8:37 AM in response to vishal147

I have the same problem - MBP 15" 2017, internal SSD only, iCloud photos worked fine, upgraded to Mojave, and now I get the weird "you need an APFS disk even though the only disk you have is an APFS disk" error. I tried this fix this morning, and it didn't fix it. And now all my passwords are gone, which is a pain.

Nov 29, 2018 4:06 AM in response to stentor007

Interesting . . . tried it a second time and it did solve the problem. The first time First Aid ran it said in the details that it was examining 4 snapshots of metadata. The second time it ran it said it was examining 8 snapshots. No idea what changed from the first to the second but I can confirm that the system has restarted a number of times now and the Photos APFS problem has not returned.

BTW, my system is an iMac21" which was converted to APFS by the Mojave upgrade.

Nov 29, 2018 4:31 PM in response to Brad2610a

Same problem here. Temporarily fixed using Disk Utilites but it came back weeks later.No reboot during this time. Photos just decided stop working by itself sometime.

My system is iMac 2017 with 1T SSD internal drive so it’s completely irrelavent to FusionDrive issue. Simply a bug in either APFS or iCloud.

Trying to fix again with Disk Utilites and see whether and when it will come back again.

Jan 23, 2019 4:21 AM in response to Brad2610a

While the "First Aid" helps, somebody should clearly state that there is an error in MacOS which causes it to falsely assume that the disk in use is not an internal disk.

From what I observed, this problem is caused by connecting another server via afp and then at another time not being connected to this server. Maybe OSX is puzzled with numbering the disks or whatever. Apple, your turn to fix this.

icloud photos - formatting error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.