Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow WiFi speed with iPhone Xs Max

My 2018 iPhone Xs Max 256 is getting much slower internet speeds when connected to my Home wifi. I use Spectrum Internet and normal wifi speeds in excess of 100 Mbps on all of my mobile devices (iPhone X 256, iPad Pro 10.5) and 2018 Mac Book Pro. They all get about 110 Mbps, but the iPhone Xs Max is only getting about 55 Mbps or slower, sometimes as low as 7 Mbps.

I use the app called Speedtest by ookla. All tests are done sequentially at same time of the day, in the same room, about 10 feet away from the wifi router.

There's definitely an issue with the iPhone Xs Max. I notice the problem when I read the LA Times e-edition every morning. I've been reading the e-edition daily for over a year. The pages would load instantly as I swiped right-to-left when I used the iPhone X. Now, with the iPhone Xs Max, when I swipe to open the next page, I have to wait for the page to load and be in focus. It's frustrating! Has anyone else noticed a slower speed? Is there a fix? Has a case been opened on this issue?

iPhone Xs Max, iOS 12

Posted on Sep 27, 2018 7:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2018 11:22 AM

I figured out the cause for slower speeds. I have a dual band router (2.4GHz and 5GHz). The 5GHz band is faster but has a shorter range. The iPhone was using the 2.4GHz band while the iPad and MBPro were using the 5GHz band. When I changed the iPhone Xs Max WiFi connection to the 5GHz band the Speedtest resulted in 117 Mbps. I'm happy now. The WiFi may automatically switch back and forth between 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. If I want to read the e-edition of LA Times or do any internet-related activity, I will make sure the iPhone is connected to the 5GHz band for fastest speed (as long as I'm not too far from the WiFi router. The 5GHz band is strong in most areas of my home.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2018 11:22 AM in response to Gary Shockley

I figured out the cause for slower speeds. I have a dual band router (2.4GHz and 5GHz). The 5GHz band is faster but has a shorter range. The iPhone was using the 2.4GHz band while the iPad and MBPro were using the 5GHz band. When I changed the iPhone Xs Max WiFi connection to the 5GHz band the Speedtest resulted in 117 Mbps. I'm happy now. The WiFi may automatically switch back and forth between 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. If I want to read the e-edition of LA Times or do any internet-related activity, I will make sure the iPhone is connected to the 5GHz band for fastest speed (as long as I'm not too far from the WiFi router. The 5GHz band is strong in most areas of my home.

Sep 28, 2018 11:35 AM in response to Gary Shockley

An additional comment to my previous reply to the speed issue:

It is my understanding there are several household devices that may interfere with the 2.4GHz wifi band. Those include cordless phone sets and wireless security system base modules that use cellular to communicate with a security control center. A year ago, I discovered as I moved my cell phone closer to the home security base unit, the wifi speed was reduced significantly, even down to zero speed when holding the cell phone next to the security system base unit. One fix is to keep away from 2.4GHz devices when using your cell phone on the same 2.4GHz band. Another fix is you switch your mobile device to the 5GHz band.

Sep 29, 2018 6:41 AM in response to Gary Shockley

I had the same issue and temporarily fixed separating the two bands and try to connect my XS to the 5GHZ band only. It works flawlessly. Now when you are in a place where you cannot choose bands, the XS sticks to the 2.4GHZ band giving you an unreliable connection. Have you tested your LTE connection? Mine is basically useless outside my home WiFi. I tested earlier today and it got to the point that Speedtest gave me 0 Mpbs and 1.2 upload. T-Mobile is my carrier. I find it unacceptable that you pay premium money for a device that it does not work as advertised. My 6s+ is faster than the XS. Hopefully, it is fixed soon. Let us know what speed you get with your LTE connection.

Sep 29, 2018 6:40 AM in response to Gary Shockley

I was having the same issue my Asus WiFi Router has an iOS app to administrate the router. When I logged in to see what devices were connected to the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz network, I found that my iPhone XS Max was on the 2.4 GHz network and the lousy speed test result proved it. Both my 2.4 and 5 GHz networks have the same SSID Name it allows the device to choose the best source but not it this case. I went in and shut off the 2.4 GHz radio and my speed test results were similar to my computer and my girlfriends iPhone X 200-225 Mbps.

The connection to the 2.4 GHz network was noticeable as app content that was never slow to load now took time. Even emails with long threads were taking several seconds to load.

More than likely this will be fixed by a software update or two someday they'll get it right. Till then ban iPhone XS Max from 2.4 GHz WIFi networks.

Oct 3, 2018 8:26 AM in response to Gary Shockley

I am have a similar issue. I am running a nighthawk router that consistently got over 100Mbs on both 2.4 and 5Ghz. Since going to IOS 12 the 2.4 drops to 7Mbs and below. Also, when I try to switch to the 5Ghz it either doesn't see it, or has a very difficult time connecting (i.e. says wrong password (it's not), or can't find it). As a note, my two bands have different SSID's. I have gone through multiple rounds of resetting modem and router.

I love my XS Max so I really hope apple gets this fixed ASAP

Oct 6, 2018 4:16 AM in response to Gary Shockley

I took delivery of my pre-ordered iPhone XS Max on 21 Sept and found wifi to be slow out of the box - during set up it took an eternity to activate where it says "setting up your Apple ID" and got very hot at the back. Once set up it took ages to download Apps and was painfully slower connecting both WiFi and 4G than the iPhone 7 it replaced. I tried all the steps suggested - separating my 5ghz wifi channel, resetting network settings, removing the cover. Nothing worked, so I returned it to my local Apple Store who seemed dumbfounded after testing as nothing came up. They agreed to replace it however, the exact same model which replaced it is fine and works perfectly. It's my belief this is a hardware problem then with an early batch perhaps? Either way I just wanted to share - the most expensive phone in the line up should not have these problems really.

Oct 6, 2018 6:55 AM in response to aurora56

Yours is an interesting case. I’m wondering if your WiFi was randomly selecting another “router” nearby. I’ve noticed my Xs Max randomly switches to my WiFi Direct connection that is actually an HP printer and is not connected to the internet. What I’ve started doing is checking my WiFi setting on the iPhone and make sure it’s connected to my WiFi router and not the printer. I don’t understand why the iPhone randomly switches to the printer. My WiFi signal is very strong throughout the home. But for some reason, the phone will switch WiFi connection to the printer and I’m unaware of it until I try to use an app that needs the internet connection.

Oct 7, 2018 3:57 PM in response to aurora56

Exactly what happened to me. Phone got really hot setting up, and took ages. Brand new Xs max. My router has separate 2g and 5g networks - I only use the 5g one yet struggle to get 40-50mb when all other devices get up to 150mb. Sometime I see as low as 7gb on a Speedtest. Facebook loads/refreshes slowly, videos stutter and buffer, online games glitch and lose connection. Terrible. Think I’ll send this one back to EE or pop to an apple store. Not expected when you’re paying over a grand for a phone.

Dec 10, 2018 1:50 PM in response to Gary Shockley

I just got my new iPhone XS Max yesterday and I'm already feeling like it was a mistake. I had the iPhone 6s+ prior and the phone itself was excellent. With my new phone i experience slow speed & wifi/data connection. Important emails, texts etc. are not coming through and its very annoying. Is there a way to fix this? iPhone 6s+ never had this issue.

Jan 14, 2019 8:22 PM in response to Gary Shockley

I purchased the XS MAX and it pretty much won’t connect to my phone service provider (Sprint) almost all the time and if and when it does there is just one bar - never had that problem with the 6+ that I had for over 3 years. I had waited to get the XS Max in the hope that these type of issues would have been escalated and resolved by Apple but sadly I was disappointed with this issue. Is it that the Intel chip instead of the Qcom chip is the issue? If so, shouldn’t Apple replace these devices if and when they have settled with Qcom? We the purchasers weren’t aware of switch to Intel chip due to the dispute and ended up being shafted silently!

Slow WiFi speed with iPhone Xs Max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.