Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Onkyo TX-NR656 Airplay not working

I am trying to play music from iTunes via my iPad to my Onkyo receiver using Airplay.

iOS 12 on iPad and latest firmware on Onkyo. iPad is on WiFi and Onkyo is on wired connection back to router.

Cant connect either wired, or when both on same wireless network.

iPad can see the Onkyo but when I try to connect it times out with an error.

iPad Air Wi-Fi, iOS 12

Posted on Sep 27, 2018 7:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2018 3:46 PM

There was a firmware upgrade issued in the past few days - 11 October it seems:

https://www.onkyousa.com/Downloads/firmware.php

This has fixed the problem for me - I can now AirPlay from my iPad to my receiver.

10 replies

Oct 21, 2018 6:40 AM in response to Hamish B.

I am also having this same problem. OnkyoUSA shrugged and said I had to wait for their next update to see if it was their issue. I can see the Onkyo Amp on the network. If I change the name of it in the Onkyo setup, I see that change reflected in my Apple devices.

I am beginning to doubt it is an Apple issue as I don't have trouble sending Airplay to any of my other devices. I even called Google Wifi Support to see if they possibly know if a fix. They pointed me back to Onkyo as well.

I too would like to get this fixed as I use this feature every day.

Onkyo TX-NR656 Airplay not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.