Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac late 2009 fan issue

I have an iMac late 2009, Intel i5 266 GHz. I've replaced CD drive with OWC SSD and made it boot drive. Old HD relegated simply to data storage.

Timing was perfect as old HD then died. I had to remove it as it was causing performance issues (was making a clicking noise and causing OS long delays when waking up). Furthermore, I noticed cooling fan (not sure which one) was kicking in after just a few minutes, spinning at max rpm and never stopping.

With HD removed the OS responsiveness has returned to normal but the fan issue has not stopped. I've opened up my iMac and checked that the heat sensor on the OWC is positioned correctly. I've also cleaned out dust from fans but the fan issue does not go away. Using my iMac has become sooooo noisy!

Could it be that in the absence of an HD in the traditional HD bay is causing the OS to be confused? Should I buy a new HD to replace the old one even though I don't actually need one? I cannot find any info online and simply don't know what to try next.

I know my iMac is old but it has maxed out RAM and with the upgrade to SSD boot drive performs extremely well with MS Office, internet browsing, iTunes, etc. I don't need to change it for performance reasons.

Thanks.

David

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6), 16GB RAM

Posted on Sep 27, 2018 10:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2018 11:12 PM

Hi,

Resetting SMC could solve the problem.

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

If it doesn't work, try to check your iMac with Apple Hardware Test

How to use Apple Hardware Test on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies

Sep 28, 2018 3:38 AM in response to Vondave

2009 2010 and 2011 iMac(s) all have this notorious fan issue when HDD got replaced because of Apple's propriety hardware design in the HDD which manufacturer made a little tweak within.

By not using the HDD or after market HDD/SSD that the system can no detect the temperature sensor and would turn the fan on the Max speed.

Your scenario perfectly illustrated the situation, by adding SSD at optical drive while original HDD in place (no issue).

You can search the net about this -- there are few options to my knowledge

1. use in-line sensor (make sure 2009 model because 2009/2010 and 2011 in-line sensors are different)

2. go to Apple and replace Apple certified HDD (for 2009)

3. use software fix - such as fan control

Good luck

iMac late 2009 fan issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.