Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The volume of the alarm on my iPhone XS won’t go down?

I recently upgraded from an iPhone 6 to an iPhone XS. I always have my phone on silent and therefore used to keep my volume set on half permanently. This used to be the perfect volume for my alarm on the iPhone 6.

Ever since upgrading to the iPhone XS however, I am blasted awake by my alarm, which sounds like it’s coming out at full volume. I thought that perhaps the speakers on the iPhone XS were better/louder, so I tried adjusting down beyond halfway to no result. I have adjusted the volume on the side down to two bars as of last night and it doesn’t seem to make a difference - it still seems to ring as loud as ever.

Why does my alarm seem to ring at any volume it wants when I specifically have the volume turned down and how do I fix this?

Posted on Sep 27, 2018 10:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2018 2:37 PM

Hi ​willowtrees,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand that the alarm on your iPhone is going off at a higher volume than you prefer, and using the volume buttons on your iPhone doesn't seem to make any adjustments to the alarm volume. I know it's important to have your alarm set at the volume you prefer; I'd like to help. Take a look at the steps below to adjust your alarm volume; please note that if you'd like to use the volume buttons to adjust alarm sounds, "Change with Buttons" must be enabled:

Set the alarm's volume

Tap Settings > Sounds & Haptics. Under Ringers And Alerts, drag the slider left or right. As you drag, an alert will play, so you can hear how the volume changes. Using the Volume buttons on the side of your iPhone won't change the alarm's volume unless you turn on Change with Buttons.

How to set and manage alarms on your iPhone

If you're using Bedtime on your iPhone, use these steps to adjust the alarm volume:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

How to change the settings

1. Open the Clock app and tap the Bedtime tab.
  2. Tap Options in the top-left corner.
  3. Here's what you can change:
    • Choose which days your Wake alarm goes off. Your alarm goes off on days that are orange.
    • Set when you're reminded to go to bed.
    • Choose a Wake Up Sound for your alarm.
    • Change how loud the alarm is.
  4. Tap Done.
Use Bedtime to track your sleep on your iPhone

​Best Regards.
29 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2018 2:37 PM in response to willowtrees

Hi ​willowtrees,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand that the alarm on your iPhone is going off at a higher volume than you prefer, and using the volume buttons on your iPhone doesn't seem to make any adjustments to the alarm volume. I know it's important to have your alarm set at the volume you prefer; I'd like to help. Take a look at the steps below to adjust your alarm volume; please note that if you'd like to use the volume buttons to adjust alarm sounds, "Change with Buttons" must be enabled:

Set the alarm's volume

Tap Settings > Sounds & Haptics. Under Ringers And Alerts, drag the slider left or right. As you drag, an alert will play, so you can hear how the volume changes. Using the Volume buttons on the side of your iPhone won't change the alarm's volume unless you turn on Change with Buttons.

How to set and manage alarms on your iPhone

If you're using Bedtime on your iPhone, use these steps to adjust the alarm volume:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

How to change the settings

1. Open the Clock app and tap the Bedtime tab.
  2. Tap Options in the top-left corner.
  3. Here's what you can change:
    • Choose which days your Wake alarm goes off. Your alarm goes off on days that are orange.
    • Set when you're reminded to go to bed.
    • Choose a Wake Up Sound for your alarm.
    • Change how loud the alarm is.
  4. Tap Done.
Use Bedtime to track your sleep on your iPhone

​Best Regards.

Nov 22, 2018 12:45 PM in response to Leftola

The volume lowering of the alarm when the phone recognises you is a feature you can turn off. It’s under Settings, General, Accessibility, Face ID & Attention. The alarm volume that it comes out at when it first goes off is the volume you have your alarm set at so if that is too loud, you need to follow the steps in the correct answer above (which enables you to adjust the volume of the alarm using the buttons) and then lower the volume. I have mine set on about 3 or 4 and still find it’s quite loud because the speakers are better.

User uploaded file

Oct 26, 2018 2:23 PM in response to chuck_3rd

I've changed this but the Alarm volume changes. It will sometimes go off loud and then 2 seconds go to quiet. It will sometimes go quiet even if the volume is set loud. My wife has the iPhone XS and hates the alarm sound volume changes. Later I will produce a video to demonstrate the differing volumes even though the sound (alerts and ringers) is set to high.

Nov 14, 2018 9:09 AM in response to Jeronymus

Mine does this as well, but that wasn’t the problem I was having initially (with the volume being absurdly loud compared to where I had the volume set). I think this is a separate feature because it only happens when I lift my phone up and the Face ID is triggered. I assume it is because it believes if you’ve picked up your phone, then you must be awake so it slightly dims the sound. If the Face ID doesn’t get triggered, my alarm stays the full volume.

Nov 17, 2018 6:07 AM in response to shaunfromaustralia

I think it has to do with the vibration setting, if you have your alarm set to vibrate as well as make a sound turn the vibrate off and it should solve your issue...worked on my xs max. Go to the alarm, select a time to edit...where you would go to set the alarm sound, volume etc...at the top you should be able to tick the vibrate off. Hope this helps!

Nov 17, 2018 3:01 PM in response to chuck_3rd

Hi Alex,

I do not believe you have resolved the issue at all.

I have tried everything you said (no I don’t use bedtime) and nothing worked.

Shaunfromaustrtalia - his idea didn’t work for me either.

The phone picks its own volume to start the alarm and not until you move the phone or it recognises your ID does it play at the volume YOU have chosen.

Can you please ask someone how to over come this?

Cheers

Dec 26, 2018 11:18 PM in response to willowtrees

I tried each of the solutions, alone and in combination (erasing the alarms and restarting, and disabling Face ID > Attention Aware). None worked consistently, or more than once. Often, the alarm tone would reset to the default alarm sound as well as the default volume.

I even downloaded an alarm app from the App Store, but the alarm volume on the app defaulted to a medium volume after the phone screen went to sleep.

Has Apple acknowledged the issue? Also, some people don’t have the issue. Is this only for people who restored a new iPhone XS from a backup of an older model? I restored from an iPhone 6.

Has as anyone found a good fix?

Jan 1, 2019 12:46 PM in response to willowtrees

I have experienced the same rude awakening this morning to one of my favourite Icelandic songs. Very disappointing I must say, especially after just switching to iPhone after years with Samsung where you can select “increasing volume” with wake up alarms. I read through the reply regarding changing volume of tones etc, however would that not change EVERY tone?

Thank you in advance

Jan 13, 2019 7:33 PM in response to willowtrees

So I have tried all of these answers after my husband went nuts and nothing worked.

my volume is always set on medium (half way)...

I went into alarm, pressed edit, pressed sound, clicked again on the selected sound, pressed the volume down button until desire volume and finally pressed back to exit.

I pressed again on a volume button to double check if my volume was still half way or as low the alarm sound I wanted & to my surprise, still on medium.

I have now edited all my alarms to the desired volume... 🙃

Mar 12, 2019 5:10 AM in response to willowtrees

I’ve also tried the same things everyone else has tried: deleting the alarms and rebooting the phone, adjusting the volume within settings instead of with the buttons, and no matter what, the alarm BLASTS at full volume no matter where the ringer volume is. My alarm does not need to be that loud in order for me to wake up and it’s quite jarring.

This is very obviously a bug and not a feature.

The volume of the alarm on my iPhone XS won’t go down?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.