Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Built-in trackpad not found in system preferences, only bluetooth trackpad available.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Built-in trackpad can't be found in system preferences to configure, only external bluetooth trackpad configuration available.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Sep 28, 2018 3:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2018 10:39 PM

Update*

I've found an interesting discussion here: macbook - Built-in touchpad functional but not detected by System Preferences after installing macOS High Sierra - Ask D…

Apparently when you remove the battery from a Macbook Pro and leave the battery slot empty(like what I've done with mine) the built-in trackpad is not recognised in the system preferences for some reason, the trackpad works but its just not recognised or configurable in the system preferences.

Yeah I know its kinda of weird because when you open up the machine you'd realise the battery connection port is completely different from the trackpad ribbon port but apparently for some reason those are the quirks.

So if this was true then the solution would be simply to put back the battery into my laptop however I can't because mine is extremely bloated to the point it won't even fit back in its slot and stay flat for me to even screw it, so until I've manage to save up and buy a new replacement battery I would be running my MacBook Pro from the wall power.

This is the best conclusion I could come up with for now regarding this trackpad issue.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2018 10:39 PM in response to Barrathan

Update*

I've found an interesting discussion here: macbook - Built-in touchpad functional but not detected by System Preferences after installing macOS High Sierra - Ask D…

Apparently when you remove the battery from a Macbook Pro and leave the battery slot empty(like what I've done with mine) the built-in trackpad is not recognised in the system preferences for some reason, the trackpad works but its just not recognised or configurable in the system preferences.

Yeah I know its kinda of weird because when you open up the machine you'd realise the battery connection port is completely different from the trackpad ribbon port but apparently for some reason those are the quirks.

So if this was true then the solution would be simply to put back the battery into my laptop however I can't because mine is extremely bloated to the point it won't even fit back in its slot and stay flat for me to even screw it, so until I've manage to save up and buy a new replacement battery I would be running my MacBook Pro from the wall power.

This is the best conclusion I could come up with for now regarding this trackpad issue.

Sep 28, 2018 4:43 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

When I click the Trackpad pane, it only shows configuration for external bluetooth trackpad(Second picture), there's no built-in trackpad configuration available. However my trackpad still works except for the right-click function, which is why I went to the system preferences to configure it and was surprised that I couldn't find the configuration for built-in trackpad.

Just to clarify, I'm using MacBook Pro (13 inch mid 2012) with macOS Mojave 10.14

Sep 30, 2018 11:53 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Nope doesn't work and on top of that I reformatted my MacBook Pro and reinstalled a fresh copy of macOS Mojave 10.14 using recovery mode, still the same problem. At this point it's safe to say that apple might've permanently remove the configuration for built-in trackpad OR it's a bug in macOS Mojave 10.14, let's wait and see if they address it in the next updates.

Side note*
Heads up to any of you planning to install the new macOS Mojave 10.14, I've noticed a considerable lag/delay in my MacBook Pro. Its not specific to an app or a particular operation, the lag seems to affect generally the overall operation of my MacBook Pro and yes this is happening even after I reinstalled a fresh copy of macOS Mojave 10.14 using recovery mode. My MacBook never had this issue and was smooth as ever with previous macOS High Sierra, lag started occurring immediately after macOS Mojave 10.14 being installed.

Oct 1, 2018 1:13 AM in response to Barrathan

Looking back on this thread, here is what I think:

1) For some reason, your system is not correctly detecting your built-in trackpad - hence it is asking you to connect a bluetooth one.

It is strange, seeing that it works and all.

Two possibilities for this:

a) some weird hardware failure;

b) some weird software conflict.

At this point, my "money" is on b); which takes me to...

2) Reinstalling over the existing system is not going to help.

Doing a clean install probably will. But before you commit to doing this, you can try installing Mojave on an external drive and testing.

Before anything else: please run the diagnostic tool Etrecheck and post its report here.

It is the best way for us trying to help to know a bit about your system.

Oct 1, 2018 4:07 AM in response to Barrathan

The report does not show anything that appear to be able to cause the issues.

Here a few more things one can try.

- Reset the SMC and NVRAM

- Create a new user account, login to this new account.

Do System Preferences recognize your trackpad?

- Restart your mac in Safe Mode, and try using System Preferences. Still does not recognize the trackpad.

- How is your battery? If it is old and swelling, it may affect the trackpad - though I don't see why it would make it "invisible" to System Preferences.

Still, if you option-click the Apple Menu and choose System Information, then click on Power, what does it say about battery condition, number of cycles, etc?

Oct 9, 2018 9:34 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hi there, sorry for the delayed reply.

Tried all you mentioned above, still the same.

Regarding my battery, well my battery was swollen so I dismantled it off about a month ago from my laptop and decided to use power from the wall. At the moment there's no battery installed but if I were to vaguely remember the stats, it was:

Cycle count - 25
Voltage (mV) - 12xxx
Full Capacity Charge (mAh) - 5xxx

Condition - Normal

Oct 9, 2018 9:44 PM in response to MerlinGre

We're in the same boat here, my guess is its an actual bug in Mojave 10.14 or apple has permanently removed the configuration for built-in trackpad because when I installed a fresh copy of Mojave 10.14 the trackpad was set at maximum cursor speed by default, I remember usually when we install a new OS the default setting for trackpad will be the slowest cursor speed until we have to go into system preferences and change it to fast cursor speed, but with Mojave 10.14 it was set to fast cursor by default, so maybe its a permanent new design from apple to remove the configuration, I'm just guessing here who knows lets wait and see for the upcoming updates.

Built-in trackpad not found in system preferences, only bluetooth trackpad available.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.