Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Camera not working with Mojave

Ok, second problem with Mojave now!

I have a Macbook Pro mid 2012 which had worked just fine until I upgraded to Mojave a couple of days ago.

So I noticed my camera wasn't working correctly, and I found out about this solution in another thread:

"open a terminal and type

sudo killall VDCAssistant"

And it worked fine for a while (a couple of hours), but now I'm back to "camera not working"

I would like to have a permanent solution and not have to do this 'sudo' thing each time it stops working! It clearly is a software issue, because the camera starts working again when I apply it.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), macOS Mojave (10.14), null

Posted on Sep 28, 2018 8:10 AM

14 replies

Oct 31, 2018 8:22 PM in response to calmontoya

Ever since I updated my iMac to Mojave my built-in camera AND microphone have stopped working. No app recognizes them. I do have a third party camera with a mic and it recognizes that without any issues.

I have looked through the forums here and saw multiple people are having this issue. I thought the 10.14.1 update might fix it, but it did not. I've tried doing the terminal sudo command to reset the camera and that did nothing. I've restarted, cleared caches... nothing.

Even Siri will not recognize the mic. I know this has to be a software issues, because the both the camera AND the mic would not fail at the same time coincidentally after installing Mojave.

I've submitted a bug report to Apple, but really I shouldn't have to. Mojave should have never been released without more QC efforts.

Nov 21, 2018 10:05 PM in response to rhulle

@rhulle I already did that... for the apps that ASK for permission. It still didn't work.

The more troublesome issue still is that some apps do not ask for permission and there is no way to manually add them to the list. There should be +/- buttons that let you manually add whatever apps you want to the camera or microphone, but there aren't any buttons at all. But even so, even QuickTime or FaceTime will not recognize the camera or mic. I mean, the camera is called the FaceTime HD camera and FaceTime can't even use it in Mojave.

Camera not working with Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.