Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PC guy look for iMac w/ FCE info

I have been researching FCE/HD on the 'net and spent the afternoon at the local Mac store playing with 24" iMac and iMovie & iDVD (they did not have a machine with FCE/HD on display) This was the first time I had ever touched a Mac. I have most of my questions answered but am looking for some unbiased input on three iMac options. Specifically I am trying to decide if cost is justified on the following three options:
1) 2.16Ghz v 2.33Ghz processor speed; $250 difference
2) 1gb v 2gb memory; $175 difference
3) 128mb v 256mb video card; $125 difference

I already have a house full of PCs so I will be adding the iMac to my collection and my intent is to have it used solely for video editing/authoring.

thanks for any advice you can give.

T

Posted on Feb 14, 2007 6:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2007 6:58 PM

I would go with #2 more than anything. 2.16GHz is plenty of power, and the video card doesn't really matter, unless you want to play some games, or install Vista with Aero.

- Craig
6 replies

Feb 14, 2007 8:38 PM in response to teunis1

IMHO there isn't enough difference between a 2.16 and a 2.33GHz processor to worry about. You will be better off spending your money on more RAM. A 2.16GHz machine with 2GB RAM will dance circles around a 2.33GHz machine with only 1GB RAM. I'd suggest 2GB RAM for FCE.

Regarding the video card, if it were me, I'd probably go for the 256MB video card. The 128MB card will be fine but with a 24" display the extra video memory may keep you happier in the long run.

BTW, Applecare would be a very good addition to your purchase list if you haven't already included it.

Feb 15, 2007 1:42 AM in response to teunis1

1) ... I wouldn't care for 200MHz more...
2) ... more is better..
3) ... has a Mac a video card...? 😉, as said above, for gamers ...

but...:
you need lotsof harddrive space.. add as much as you can afford.. probably, an external, firewire connected one offers a better price/GB ratio... BEFORE usage, use Apple's DiskUtility to format to "MacOsExtended".. to avoid any trouble..

.. and if you like to 'waste' some money, add this to your FCE workstation:
User uploaded file
Contour ShuttleXPress
50$ in the apple.store ... adds that "pro"-feeling ... 😉

Feb 15, 2007 8:05 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Another thing to consider about the graphics card is that it can't be upgraded later. In that respect, I would opt for the 256MB version. Programs like Aperture & Motion will make heavy use of the GPU. And I imagine Leopard (the next Mac OS) will make more use of the GPU with it's core animations.

You can never have too much RAM- but that can be added later.

And as Karsten pointed out- get an external FW drive for your media.

Mike

PC guy look for iMac w/ FCE info

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.