Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Optical drive won't open in Mojave

I have a 2010 Mac Pro with a supported Radeon RX 580 video card and an LG WH16NS40 internal Blu Ray drive.

With macOS Mojave (10.14) I notice that my eject function key still makes the eject icon appear on the desktop, but the drive no longer responds to this command. If I try and use my menu bar icon to open the drive, the option is now greyed out.

This was not an issue in macOS Sierra.

Mac Pro, macOS Mojave (10.14), 2010 (5,1) Mac Pro, Radeon RX 580

Posted on Sep 28, 2018 7:42 AM

4 replies

Nov 16, 2018 2:13 PM in response to applepossum

This happened to me after I "upgraded" to MacOSMojave 10.14. Thinking that this was a hardware problem with my OWC Mercury optical drive, I bought a new one. It won't work either. So it's a serious bug in 10.14. 10.14.1 doesn't fix this problem. I encourage everyone with this problem to file a bug report with Apple bug reporter:

https://bugreport.apple.com/web/

Jan 11, 2019 1:47 PM in response to Warrren Anderson

The issue w/ Mojave and Bu-Ray reading/burning is clearly a firmware issue as well! My 2012 Mac Pro using H. sierra worked perfectly for 3 ext/internal blu-ray drives I use. Not a glitch or hang or issue at all for 3 or more years of doing Blu-Ray related tasks for read and write.

...Then I upgraded to Mojave on my Mac Pro and it required a firmware upgrade. Mojave choked at doing anything to do with a Blu-Ray and ignored the drives and disks entirely.. I was not sure if the issue was Mojave upgrade or the firmware update.

I then fully "restored" my Mac Pro using backups (and a full erase/partitioning) to resturn my Mac Pro to the state of when I was using High sierra, that is, other then the fact I'd updated the firmware to what Mojave required to do the upgrade.

Well, my Mc Pro had the very same issues for Blu-Ray and nothing would work anymore, thought it did prior to the FW update and upgrade to Mojave.

I am totally convinced that all Macs using Mojave and both those needing a firmware upgrade or new ones coming from Apple with latest firmware supporting Mojave, do not support Blu-Ray nativalley thanks to whatever Apple has done here be it knowingly or erroneously.

So in summary, it is just not upgrading to Mojave that is the issue for the loss ob Blu-Ray support..., it's also how the firmware used on every Mac that is running Mojave has broken what was a Mac that w/ High Sierra, supported Blu-Ray read and write just fine!

Optical drive won't open in Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.