Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two identical mov files but Quicktime fails to open one of them

I checked the files are identical with 'cmp' in Terminal:

Jaspers-iMac:LaCie weeklycantata$ cmp /Volumes/LaCie/Andere\ foto\'s\ en\ films/2002\ Olaf/2002-Q3/Beach.mov Test\ restore/JaspersiMac/Beach.mov

Jaspers-iMac:LaCie weeklycantata$

Also the permissions are identical:

Jaspers-iMac:LaCie weeklycantata$ ls -al /Volumes/LaCie/Andere\ foto\'s\ en\ films/2002\ Olaf/2002-Q3/Beach.mov Test\ restore/JaspersiMac/Beach.mov

-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 weeklycantata wheel 36442644 Oct 6 2002 /Volumes/LaCie/Andere foto's en films/2002 Olaf/2002-Q3/Beach.mov

-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 weeklycantata wheel 36442644 Oct 6 2002 Test restore/JaspersiMac/Beach.mov

Using command-I in Finder, I can see the sizes are identical but the "More Info:" section is much more elaborate. First a screenshot of the info on the file that does play:

User uploaded file

Note less "more info" on the one that doesn't play:

User uploaded file

The error message on the one that doesn't play:

User uploaded file

What's up with this? Is there some secret registry of meta-data (where the "more info" would come from) hiding somewhere else in OS X?

Thanks,

Jasper

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Sep 28, 2018 9:52 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Sep 30, 2018 2:38 AM in response to jasperk64

The meta data that one shows, comes from the Spotlight Index, meaning some information about the file has been indexed and copied elsewhere, for easy retrieval, while the other has not been processed (yet) (or that processing failed).

Try opening these two files by drag-and-drop to the same application icon. Files on another disk could get opened by a different copy of the software on that disk as well, which may fail, as that is not the startup disk.

Two identical mov files but Quicktime fails to open one of them

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.