Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spacebar-preview not working

Since upgrading to Mojave on my MBP13 TT3 2017 I can't preview photos in the Photos App with spacebar as I used to in High Sierra and earlier. When selecting a thumbnail and clicking spacebar I hear the alert sound but nothing happens. Wright now the only way for me to see the full photo is by double clicking it.

For the record, I keep photos ON the Mac (Download Originals to this Mac is ON).

I verified with the support pages for Mojave and it says this still should be possible.

Spacebar-preview works just fine in Finder (when previewing images too!). It doesn't work in Photos only.

How do I fix this?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Mojave (10.14), MBP13 TT3 2017

Posted on Sep 28, 2018 1:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2018 3:20 PM

For Photos Version 4.0, the Return key now opens a photo, or video thumbnail in the Viewer:

User uploaded file

pressing the Return key again reverts to thumbnail view.

The Spacebar has been assigned to start playback for videos:

User uploaded file

The Spacebar can play & pause a video in the the thumbnail view, or with a video open in the Viewer.

17 replies

Sep 29, 2018 8:08 AM in response to OwlFacedBoy

You and me (and millions of others when they update to Mojave) will just have to get used to using the Return key! What really bugs me is that Apple just doesn't inform you of changes like this...at least I can´t find anything about this by googling! Still, at least the space bar now works properly for playing and pausing videos, as balsa2 posted...🙂 Ian.

Oct 1, 2018 9:50 AM in response to patrykfromwarsaw

This kinda takes the left-hand fluidity out of the culling workflow now don't it??

So I have to take my hand off the mouse everytime I want to check out a pic?

APPLE come on! Remember the days when we could configure these beyond belief, and that's what set us apart from the Windoze people

On the other hand, glad to see the new iOS update allows for outright app closing swipe-up without holding down an app LOL win some lose some...

Jan 15, 2019 11:08 PM in response to balsa2

I am very disappointed that Apple has made this strange decision. I will be hitting the space bar for a long time as it is still the system standard. I may even get frustrated enough to look for another Photo App. Maybe apple should put an option if you want to use the spacebar for Quicklook in Photos or the unfamiliar out of sync with the system return key.

Spacebar-preview not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.