Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDMI cable - no sound

Hi All,

Could anyone dontate some simple instructions for me to enable sound when connecting my Macbook Pro to my TV via a HDMI cable please?

I have visual with no problems but the sound still comes from the mac and not through the TV.

i have looked at a few tutorials on YouTube but to no avail, any & all help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Eoin

MacBook Pro, iOS 12

Posted on Sep 29, 2018 2:10 AM

12 replies

Sep 30, 2018 10:19 AM in response to Ooosh1066

Hello Ooosh1066,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that there is no sound when connecting your MacBook Pro to your TV via HDMI. You've come to the right place for help.

Let's start by confirming the TV is selected in the audio Output pane following the steps here:

Connect to HDMI from your Mac - Apple Support

Specifically, check out this section:

If your HDMI device isn't receiving audio from your Mac:

• Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Sound. In the Output pane, make sure that your HDMI device is selected.
  • If you're connecting using a Mini DisplayPort adapter, make sure that your Mac can send audio over Mini DisplayPort.
  • If you're connecting from a Mac mini, unplug any audio device that is plugged into your computer's Audio-Out port.

User uploaded file

If your Mac goes to sleep while a video is playing or paused, you might see an HDCP error. Quit the app that is playing the video, then open the app again. If the issue continues, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Energy Saver and adjust the settings so that your display doesn't turn off.

You may also need to select HDMI as the audio source in the settings on your TV. If you aren't sure how to do so, contact your TV manufacture for more information.

Cheers!

Nov 5, 2018 5:52 PM in response to stasdas

Same situation here. MacPro 5,1 (flashed from 4,1) Runs perfectly but HDMI audio is no longer available, This is with a GTX680 card that worked smoothly with no special treatment in High Sierra.

Super annoying, especially since I have been reporting this to Apple for 6 months while the product was still in Beta and until today.

Apparently there really don't care. It's very interesting that in the bug reporting app for beta MacOS there isn't even a category for Audio or Sound problems!

Dec 23, 2018 8:35 AM in response to Ooosh1066

Reporting in that I'm having the same problem on BOTH of my Macbooks - a 2012 Macbook Pro that I'm using a miniDP adapter for and a 2015 Macbook Pro that uses HDMI direct out. No video problems, I've tested the cables with other devices and they are working, HDMI does NOT APPEAR as an output option at all. Previously they worked without any problems.

Dec 24, 2018 2:05 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Can you elaborate on why this may be needed?

If I understand correctly, the proposed fix involves installing a kernel extension.

Since I do not have that extension and have no trouble with HDMI audio, I have to wonder if there is something else involved.

Googling it I found some references to this, but they seemed to all involve hackintoshes or at least people with pre-2013 mac pro that had replaced their graphics cards.

I wonder if this proposed fix may not help in other cases.

HDMI cable - no sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.