Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

thumbnails not showing

Hi I have a this problem after I update to macOS Mojave. The thumbnail only show an icon format of that particular file. Also in the download folder there is no thumbnails at all, its hard for me to find a file if there are no thumbnail.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

MacBook Pro, macOS Mojave (10.14), MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)

Posted on Sep 29, 2018 3:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2018 7:51 PM

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, skyilham89!
I understand you're not getting a file preview on on your MacBook Pro. I can understand how this may make it hard to work with your documents. I'd be happy to provide information that may help you out.

Start your MacBook Pro in safe mode, and test to see if the previews show there: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

If this continues there, restart and check if the issue happens on another user account: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac
Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.
Have a great day!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2018 7:51 PM in response to skyilham89

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, skyilham89!
I understand you're not getting a file preview on on your MacBook Pro. I can understand how this may make it hard to work with your documents. I'd be happy to provide information that may help you out.

Start your MacBook Pro in safe mode, and test to see if the previews show there: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

If this continues there, restart and check if the issue happens on another user account: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac
Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.
Have a great day!

Oct 1, 2018 1:28 PM in response to skyilham89

skyilham89,

You can reinstall macOS without losing any data by using these steps: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery
Make sure you have a backup just in case: How to use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac

Alternatively, you can transfer your information as if you were setting up your MacBook Pro from an old MacBook Pro to the new user. Here are the steps: How to move your content to a new Mac
Have a great week ahead!

Oct 1, 2018 9:36 AM in response to alma1090

Hello alma1090, thank you for sharing the info.

I already try login in safe mode, nothing change. But when I login to another user, the thumbnail is appear. I think there are probably setting problem or other problem need to search for that cause the thumbnail disappear in my current user.

Maybe I need to do a clean install on my MacBook Pro or if can move all my current user file and all important stuff to the new user then I can delete my current user.

Can I merge or import all data from current user to new user?

Appreciate your help. thank again alma1090.

thumbnails not showing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.