Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mojave Installation - An error occured validating the installer data. The download is either damaged or incomplete.

User uploaded file

I am trying to install Mac OS Majove, i've tried to download the file more than 7 times already, and always get the same Error.

An error occured validating the installer data. The download is either damaged or incomplete.

Redownload the installer and try again.

I have tried every trick in the book, resetting SMC, PRAM... i even tried to delete the Cache of the app store just to make sure i'd get a fresh download each time, and still the same error.

I've tried to install the OS either by directly doing so after the download or even tried to create a bootable USB and boot up the Mac, same error...

My Technical Configuration is as follows:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

2.5 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Currently Running Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6

All the posts suggest making sure the date is correct or resetting the configurations.. I've tried them all, and always get the same error.

I have no idea what to do next, i've run out of tricks...can anyone help me out?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), macOS Mojave (10.14), null

Posted on Sep 29, 2018 4:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2018 12:04 AM

Hi Elias Rahme!

I understand that you're unable to install macOS Mojave, and I'm happy to help. Please try installing after starting your Mac in safe mode:

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

If the issue persists, you can try to download the file connecting your computer to a ethernet port or a different Wi-Fi connection if possible in order to eliminate the possibility of an issue with your internet connection.

Cheers!
30 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2018 12:04 AM in response to Elias Rahme

Hi Elias Rahme!

I understand that you're unable to install macOS Mojave, and I'm happy to help. Please try installing after starting your Mac in safe mode:

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

If the issue persists, you can try to download the file connecting your computer to a ethernet port or a different Wi-Fi connection if possible in order to eliminate the possibility of an issue with your internet connection.

Cheers!

Oct 26, 2018 12:34 AM in response to Elias Rahme

Ok. I finally got mine to work. Hope this works for you too.

• Look for "Install Mac OS Mojave" in your Applications folder.
  • Delete it.
  • I then used CleanMyMac app to COMPLETELY delete all corresponding files/data.
  • Power down my macbook and powered back up in safe mode. (this might work in regular mode too..don't know)
  • Went to the App Store and re-downloaded the installer.
  • That's it!

Basically the error is saying that the installer is bad. Needed to get rid of it and try again.

NOTE: I was on the same wireless network that I was on when I received the error so that had no effect on me.

Dec 4, 2018 5:43 AM in response to Elias Rahme

I also got the same error while installing the new OS.

I tried every tip mentioned on this page. macOS Mojave install error

• Tried install after restarting (Not Worked)
  • Change My existing WiFi and connect with Airtel 4G dongle (not worked)
  • Create new admin (didn't work)
  • Disable Automatic Proxy Configuration (didn't work)

Finally, find my own way to solve. I removed the existing installer and reinstall from App store. Solved my issue. A more detailed guide is here. macOS Mojave install error

Oct 6, 2018 12:08 AM in response to darojac

The solution was just as Jeff_w suggested, the safe mode won’t work, but try to downlod the installer through a different wifi, that’s what i did and it worked.

I’m guessing the problem was when i initially downloaded the installer, the wifi got disconnected, so maybe my isp cached a broken version of the installer, so whenever i tried to download it back, it was always calling the same broken version.

So when i downloaded it through a different network, it worked perfectly

Oct 24, 2018 11:36 PM in response to jonathan_knight

I'm not saying its the only solution, i'm saying it's the only solution that worked for me, and i've tried a ton of suggestions found online, and i've even tried to download it again from one of neighbor's connection, but since we were connected to the same isp, it didn't work.

It worked when i've downloaded the installer from my office's connection, which is connected to a different isp.

Not safe mode, not clearing whatever sort of cache memory, no nothing...

Are you sure that when u changed the connection, u're connected to a different isp?

Oct 26, 2018 9:22 PM in response to Elias Rahme

Finally fixed it by using a 3rd thumb drive.

I got the "validating" error when the countdown got below the 7 minutes mark on the 2nd startup of a clean Mojave install.

Multiple failed attempts involving deleting the Mojave installer from app folder, emptying trash bin, re-start, re-format on my first removable drive - a (old) 16GB USB thumb drive.

Next I tried installing with a 16GB microSD on microSD reader, with above permutations but still same error with "validating" persists.

Problem was I had completely wiped my 15" retina's internal storage, so I cannot boot up from it anymore. Tried to install over internet, and the only choice by default was Yosemite (yikes!!!), but that couldn't "validate" either. Was beginning to wonder if it was my internet connection... I was plugged into my switch with a long cable running across the living room!

Third times a charm? Formatted a 16GB SD card (full size card which I was using to run Ubuntu) with a SD card reader, and "bada bing" it went below 7 minutes on the 2nd startup screen.

For the above I was using my 13" Retina MacBook Pro to format and install the installation files onto the removable media as I had formatted my 15" Retina's storage prior to installation.

BTW I used this in terminal to make a bootable Mojave install disk:

"sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/[YOUR REMOVABLE DRIVE NAME] --nointeraction && say Mojave Drive Created"

link here: http://osxdaily.com/2018/09/26/make-macos-mojave-boot-usb-installer/

Nov 18, 2018 2:20 PM in response to Elias Rahme

I tried all of the solutions offered in this thread. No joy.

Took my MacBook over to a friends house and tried it on his wifi and different ISP. No problem, fully installed Mojave and it works great.

So that means I have to suspect either my router, or my ISP. Can't imagine it being an ISP problem. Any ideas on what the router problem might be? I have a Linksys AC2600 router. My MacBook can use either wired or wifi connection(s).

Feb 8, 2019 3:41 PM in response to jacktan_sg

I down loaded the Mojave installer to a USB drive on my iMac, to install it on my MacBook Pro. It automatically installed it on my iMac as if it was another computer. I had to start up from the MacHD disc to regain my desktop. The USB now has four folders; Applications. Library, System, and Users. Nowhere is there an Installer for Mojave. So there is nothing on it that will install Mojave on my MacBook Pro...I tried.

So now I have a Mac new computer on my 32Gb USB drive.

Apr 17, 2019 7:32 PM in response to ozdabozz

The installer files from Mojave somtimes ship separately one in:

'/Applications/Install macOS Mojave.app/'

The other parts (main parts) into

'/macOS Install Data/'

Possibly the content of the second one got corrupted by the 2 part installer during download. I'd rm -rf both folders to retry install - not just the one in Applications.

Mojave Installation - An error occured validating the installer data. The download is either damaged or incomplete.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.