Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mojave - Safari - Bing Redirect

I have upgraded to Mojave and use Safari as my default web browser. Google is set as my search provider and every thing I search for gets redirected to Bing. I have blocked pop ups, searched for extensions and plugins, and can't get rid of this thing! Malware Bytes says I'm clean!

iMac, macOS Mojave (10.14), null

Posted on Sep 29, 2018 8:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2018 9:43 AM

Hi

this particular problem nearly drove me nuts! I to run Mojave on a 2017 MacBook pro. The solution, however, is quite simple and was given to me by Apple aftercare. This is it; download 'Malwarebytes' and make sure you get it directly from them. It will scan your mac and highlight the nasty stuff. It turned out that mine had come from a 'Mac cleaner' download which came on the back of something else (as of now still unknown). This software had a redirect hidden in it which kept bringing up bing.

The apple guy, Steven, also said that it WASN'T a virus and simply a redirect which earns the 3rd party money for each hit....phew...relief!

So try this, it worked for me and I'm going to keep the malwarebyte software as it seems to work a treat.

Hope this helps

regards

Luvblobs.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2018 9:43 AM in response to janniefromwylie

Hi

this particular problem nearly drove me nuts! I to run Mojave on a 2017 MacBook pro. The solution, however, is quite simple and was given to me by Apple aftercare. This is it; download 'Malwarebytes' and make sure you get it directly from them. It will scan your mac and highlight the nasty stuff. It turned out that mine had come from a 'Mac cleaner' download which came on the back of something else (as of now still unknown). This software had a redirect hidden in it which kept bringing up bing.

The apple guy, Steven, also said that it WASN'T a virus and simply a redirect which earns the 3rd party money for each hit....phew...relief!

So try this, it worked for me and I'm going to keep the malwarebyte software as it seems to work a treat.

Hope this helps

regards

Luvblobs.

Oct 1, 2018 2:45 AM in response to John Galt

Actually got the same problem,

Starting immediately after Mojave's installation.

Open safari, search from address bar: Apple ca

Google search appears 2 seconds before getting superseding with bing search screen and results.

Called Apple support, they made me install Malwarebytes, which identified 7 "major" threats, wow impressed as never ever scan my MAC for virus/spyware... they all find on windows hundreds of error, without fixing the problem...

So from chat been confirm to reboot issus should be resolved... lost chat.. 1:30 in morning so... reboot and guess what same problem.

Searching on my own:

So, safari preferences => search => if you select yahoo search and try the search all works through yahoo search.

If you select one of your favorite link, no issue, all work fine...

=> guess what the issue comes from internet explorer from your Mac windows...

Do you have internet explorer on your Mac, from parallels desktop, boot camp or else?

=>I have parallels desktop with windows 10 on the Mac book pro. As soon I updated to Mojave got the search issue.

=> to fix issue:

windows, start internet explorer 11 (default), from internet explorer options, remove your internet explorer security "lock mode"

Reboot as instructed windows, search for "google search engine". Click on the right IE search box, the arrow down and the click add . You will get requested to add google as search engine.

Select yes.

Once done, go to IE options manage extension, search engine, and check if you have bing and google as search engine.

Bing being #1 and default

Google being #2.

I have set google as default and then deleted

Bing as search engine.

Closed IE, and probably rebooted the windows again....

Guess what...

Safari issue got resolved by magic!!!

Hope it helps...

Nov 3, 2018 9:36 AM in response to janniefromwylie

Hello, I had the same problem, I tried everything under the sun (anti-virus scan by two different programs, uninstalling safari extensions, blocking pop ups...etc) but nothing seemed to work. The only thing that worked is:

1) For Safari: I had to instal the Malwarebytes and run it (it is not free but you get 14 days free trial) and it worked GREAT, now that I have seen how well it works and it got my google back I am more than happy to pay.

2) For Google Chrome: I went to settings and removed all other search engines which was sufficient to get my google back before installing and running the Malwarebytes.

I learned my lesson (for some reason this happened after I downloaded adobe flash player and Mojave (happened on the same couple of days)) so I am not sure which program it could be.

Hope that helps.

Nov 13, 2018 9:54 AM in response to janniefromwylie

Hi Luvblobs gave me this and it worked for me

Hope this helps

regards

Luvblobs.

Posted on Oct 22, 2018 9:43 AM

Nov 30, 2018 3:17 PM in response to janniefromwylie

Hi,

I have had the same problem too. For me, I tried to download the YouTube video and there was a pop up screen saying that I need to update my flash player. I'm no tech person, so I tapped on it. Since then, whenever I search something on Safari it opens up with google then I was redirected to Bing even though my default search engine was set on 'Google'. I didn't know what to do so I went on an online chat with Apple Support and the recommended me to use this malware program. Told me to scan and restart my Mac. So I did. After I've restarted my Mac, the Safari was back to being normal. This is the software they sent.. www.malwarebytes.com/mac

Hope it works the same for you! If it doesn't try going on a call or an online chat with Apple Advisors. It always helps!

Mojave - Safari - Bing Redirect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.