Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mojave Bug - Can't move files to trash

Since upgrading to Mojave, I can't move files to Trash or use the shortcut cmd+delete to send files to Trash.

Whatever action I try I get this message:

Are you sure you want to delete “XXX”?

This item will be deleted immediately. You can’t undo this action.

I've tried to run a disk repair, but nothing, then the method indicated by WordLyfe in this thread https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8235328?answerId=32928189022#32928189022, but the same doesn't work on Mojave.

Everything works as long as I leave the System Integrity Protection disabled.

Anyone experiencing the same problem?

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Sep 29, 2018 3:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2018 4:40 PM

Before you suggestion, I did one more test, keeping the System Integrity Protection Enabled as standard, and running below commands on Terminal.

sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash

sudo rm -rf /Volumes/*/.Trashes

mkdir ~/.Trash

sudo chown $UID ~/.Trash

chmod u+rwx ~/.Trash

After running these commands I've logged out/in, rebooted a couple of times and everything works fine.

I don't know if the problem will come back, but I'll keep you posted.

Thanks.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2018 4:40 PM in response to Old Toad

Before you suggestion, I did one more test, keeping the System Integrity Protection Enabled as standard, and running below commands on Terminal.

sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash

sudo rm -rf /Volumes/*/.Trashes

mkdir ~/.Trash

sudo chown $UID ~/.Trash

chmod u+rwx ~/.Trash

After running these commands I've logged out/in, rebooted a couple of times and everything works fine.

I don't know if the problem will come back, but I'll keep you posted.

Thanks.

Sep 29, 2018 4:05 PM in response to Old Toad

The problem isn't the warning, but as I clearly wrote "I can't move files to Trash".

When the message pops up I can either click on "Cancel" and keep the file, or click "Delete" and the file get deleted immediately "skipping the Trash".

This behaviour is normal for files stored on external disks or for example on iCloud disk, but it shouldn't be like this for files stored on your internal hard drive.

Jan 6, 2019 1:10 PM in response to henry67

i am running a mid 2012 mac book air and every time i go to delete from within finder i do not get a warning but i get the circle of death and it is seriously making me want to scream and i am thinking i need to roll back to the previous install and get rid of Mojave. I wanted to keep everything syncing between phones laptop and IMAC

. I am also experiencing a slight lag when typing. I did a reinstall and the lag is now very minimal (livable) any hints or tips.

Jan 10, 2019 7:32 AM in response to StartUpMan

this may sound crazy but i ran first aid and i was getting all kinds of errors. nothing worked. so i finally reformatted and reinstalled MOJAVE straight up from the reformat screen. and my mid 2012 AIR is working like a charm. no more drama. i also have a year old i-mac and was getting freakiness so i ran first aid, deleted the user that seemed corrupt and created a new one and it fixed the weirdness there too. i store everything on the cloud and it was easy.

Mojave Bug - Can't move files to trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.