Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copying large folder halts/stops/hangs

Hi there,

I have had some weird HD issues over the last few days - I am attempting to rescue data off a broken MacBook - had to physically remove the HDD from the MacBook and using an external drive caddy, I'm in the process of rescuing the data by copying the files from the MacBook HDD to my late 2015 iMac 27 (which is using an external 4TB HDD).

I am trying to copy the iTunes folder (approx 80GB) - it processes fine for about 95% of the files (approx 10,500_ and then stops with 192 files remaining (always at the same point). The iMac then hangs at this point (left it overnight).

I originally recovered this MacBook HDD using DiskWarrior and now DiskWarrior and Disk Utility report that the drive and files are fine. I successfully copied around 800GB worth of photos from this drive yesterday with no issues. So it appears there is a problematic file in the iTunes folder - how do I identify the issue and fix it/ignore it/delete it?

Thanks in advance.

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Sep 29, 2018 4:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2018 4:50 PM

Try to use a cloning app like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper to clone the iTunes folder to the other drive.

How is your destination drive formatted? Ideally it should be like this:

User uploaded file

and NOT CASE SENSITIVE.

User uploaded file

Similar questions

2 replies

Sep 30, 2018 4:53 PM in response to Old Toad

Many thanks for your prompt and detailed response.

I had success using Carbon Copy Cloner - at least it stopped the copy also and allowed me to identify the problematic file - an IOS App in a folder within Itunes. Once deleted I was able to copy the remainder of the folder.

Again, thanks for your super quick suggestions!

The drive format and "ownership of the volume" tick boxes were already correct.

Copying large folder halts/stops/hangs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.