Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keynote 8.2 vs. Keynote 6.6.2

We have multiple keynote files created in High Sierra with Keynote 8.2 which open ok in Keynote 6.6.2 in El Capitan. However, if in El Capitan we save the file after even a minor change, the new file cannot be re-opened in El Capitan and requires us to open a prior version. This is very repeatable on multiple computers. Does anyone know the 'feature' of 8.2 which is causing this? BTW, if I export the file as a Keynote 09 file and import it into Keynote 6.6.2, change it and save that file, it seems to work fine. This suggests some 'new' incompatible 'feature' not being correctly interpreted. Any idea what to fix?

Mac Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Sep 29, 2018 8:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2018 4:40 PM

I have exactly the same occurrence. It is not restricted to Keynote but also happens when transferring Pages v. 7.2 files from High Sierra to El Cap and resaving them. Either this is a bug, or a deliberate move by Apple because El Cap is no longer supported. Either way, it is wiping out files and rendering them unusable. This did not happen with Pages 7.1 or Keynote 8.1 so has only just been introduced with the latest updates to Pages and Keynote.

One workaround is to copy the files into versions of Keynote and Pages that are compatible with El Cap and then save them.

Hope this helps until Apple issues a fix.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2018 4:40 PM in response to aubreyapple

I have exactly the same occurrence. It is not restricted to Keynote but also happens when transferring Pages v. 7.2 files from High Sierra to El Cap and resaving them. Either this is a bug, or a deliberate move by Apple because El Cap is no longer supported. Either way, it is wiping out files and rendering them unusable. This did not happen with Pages 7.1 or Keynote 8.1 so has only just been introduced with the latest updates to Pages and Keynote.

One workaround is to copy the files into versions of Keynote and Pages that are compatible with El Cap and then save them.

Hope this helps until Apple issues a fix.

Oct 4, 2018 4:40 PM in response to IanRid

Thank-you for your reply. I think what you are saying is that I should copy the keynote file into the El Cap version (6.6.2) and save it to avoid the problem. Oddly, for me this is what creates the problem. The only seemingly reliable thing for me was to export (in High Sierra OR El Cap) to Keynote 09 and re-import into Keynote 6.6.2 (El Cap). This was not always occurring and that led me to believe that some feature I am using in version 8.2 is causing the issue. BTW, I just got a keynote file created in 8.1 (in Sierra) and it did not show the problem either - which is consistent with your suggestion of its being a new 'feature' of the latest update. Thanks-again for listening.

Oct 5, 2018 12:50 PM in response to aubreyapple

Perhaps I didn't express myself clearly. What I found was that when I opened a Pages 7.2 or Keynote 8.2 file in El Cap and then resaved it in the El Cap version, it would not reopen. That's what I understood was happening to you, too.

But when I copied and pasted the Pages text into a new El Cap document, it was OK. In the case of Keynote I think I dragged the slides across into a new El Cap (6.6.2) presentation which I had created for the experiment.

As you say, files that are back-saved into iWork 09 versions behave OK. And this only started happening with the Pages 7.2 and Keynote 8.2 upgrades (have you tried converting Pages files as an experiment?). So I think it is something to do with those new versions. Possibly it happens in Numbers as well but I haven't tried.

Hope this is now clear but if not then please ask again.

Cheers,

Ian

Keynote 8.2 vs. Keynote 6.6.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.