Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Calling all mac pro quad core users

Ive been talking to vetran poster tbirdparis about a problem ive been having that might be isolated to just this model of mac, so my question is...

Is anyone else having issues with their cpu meter running Logic 7.2.x with virtual instruments ?

My problem is this, i can run 40 instances of NI massive on cubase sx 4 macintel version without any issues, however on logic 7.2.3 i can only run 20 instances before cpu meter one goes into meltdown, the crazy thing is the other 3 cpu meters appear not to be useable, as the 1st cpu meter maxes out and does not overspill to the other 3 processors, so in essence my macpro quad core acts as if its working as a single core single processor mac.
This isnt just with Ni plugins either this is with the native logic instruments too.

Anyone else having these issues ?
I'm stumped !

MacPro, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Feb 15, 2007 3:52 AM

7 replies

Apr 8, 2007 7:11 PM in response to Band On The Run

Hello,

Will this same method apply for a G5 Quad?

And just to confirm, does this enable 3rd party plugins (such as Native Instruments, Spectrasonics etc) to utilise all 4 processors as well? As I read somewhere that only the majority of Logic's own instruments/plugins can use a Node? Though I'm not sure how valid this is :-/

I'm very close to buying a G5 Quad 2.5Ghz w/ 4.5GB RAM. I will be using Logic 7.2.3 and tend to use a lot of 3rd party plug-ins, audio, and a few pieces of hardware. Now with this latest Logic update, I should be able to use this machine to it's full potential right?

Many thanks in advance 🙂

Powerbook G4 12" Mac OS X (10.4.9) 1.5Ghz, 1.25GB RAM

Apr 9, 2007 11:45 AM in response to Wintersun Project

Found this via Wikipedia (not the most reliable source, would rather get the opinion of someone on here with first hand experience)...

"The application also features distributed processing abilities, which can function across an Ethernet LAN. One machine runs the Logic Pro app, while the other machines on the network run the Logic node app. Logic will then offload the effects and synth processing to the other machines on the network. If the network is fast enough (i.e. gigabit Ethernet) this can work in near-real time, depending on buffer settings and CPU loads. This allows users to combine the power of several Macintosh computers for significantly enhanced processing power. However, the Logic Node application can offload processing only for Logic Pro's built-in software instruments and plug-ins, but not including Logic Pro's EXS sampler virtual instrument which is excluded from Logic Node applications capabilities. Third-party plug-ins are also not supported for Logic Node application processing."

Powerbook G4 12" / 1.5Ghz / 1.25GB RAM Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Calling all mac pro quad core users

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.