Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Utility does not see AirPort Extreme connected to Verizon router

I am trying to set up an AirPort Extreme ME18LL/A on my wireless home LAN in bridge mode, connected directly to Verizon router. I am working from my High Sierra '09 Mac Pro 5,1, which is connected to my LAN via ethernet to router. Airport Utility can't see the AirPort Extreme from. Do I need to reset the AirPort Extreme, which was pre-owned? IS there a default IP I can use to access?

Mac Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6), 16 GB RAM, Boot 250GB SSD

Posted on Sep 30, 2018 2:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2018 3:27 AM

Yes, reset is essential.. full factory.

Power down the Extreme.. hold in reset.. power up without releasing.. and keep holding in reset for full 10sec.. The front LED will flash rapidly when you get it right.

Make sure you set IPv6 to link local only in the computer.. this is essential.. auto is useless.

User uploaded file

Now here is the weirdest thing of all.. airport utility must be set to ethernet.

User uploaded file

Apple is defaulting to wifi.. and trying to setup wifi by wifi is akin to sawing off the branch you are sitting on.

Once you do that if the Airport still does not show up.. thank High Sierra.. for its abysmal dns responder.

Use the MANUAL method.. after a reset the AE will always revert to 10.0.1.1. The computer should also be at 10.0.1.2 but as long as it is any 10.0.1.x address everything is fine.

Go to Configure other. Main Menu under file.

User uploaded file

Now type in the address.

User uploaded file

The password is public but not required until you finish the configuration.

Go through each screen.. give the AE a name.. short, no spaces and pure alphanumerics. Password same rules but can be longer.

Wireless again short name.. no spaces.. pure alphanumerics. Use WPA2 personal security .. with suitable alphanumeric password.. and then select the correct network setup.. usually bridge.

Update the Airport and it might appear in airport utility.. dumb as it is.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2018 3:27 AM in response to Thomas Camilleri

Yes, reset is essential.. full factory.

Power down the Extreme.. hold in reset.. power up without releasing.. and keep holding in reset for full 10sec.. The front LED will flash rapidly when you get it right.

Make sure you set IPv6 to link local only in the computer.. this is essential.. auto is useless.

User uploaded file

Now here is the weirdest thing of all.. airport utility must be set to ethernet.

User uploaded file

Apple is defaulting to wifi.. and trying to setup wifi by wifi is akin to sawing off the branch you are sitting on.

Once you do that if the Airport still does not show up.. thank High Sierra.. for its abysmal dns responder.

Use the MANUAL method.. after a reset the AE will always revert to 10.0.1.1. The computer should also be at 10.0.1.2 but as long as it is any 10.0.1.x address everything is fine.

Go to Configure other. Main Menu under file.

User uploaded file

Now type in the address.

User uploaded file

The password is public but not required until you finish the configuration.

Go through each screen.. give the AE a name.. short, no spaces and pure alphanumerics. Password same rules but can be longer.

Wireless again short name.. no spaces.. pure alphanumerics. Use WPA2 personal security .. with suitable alphanumeric password.. and then select the correct network setup.. usually bridge.

Update the Airport and it might appear in airport utility.. dumb as it is.

Airport Utility does not see AirPort Extreme connected to Verizon router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.