Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot import from home sharing since Mojave. Unknown error (-50)

As of Mojave I can no longer import from home sharing from my iMac to my Macbook Pro.

If I enter my iMac's library from my Macbook, I can see all the new music just fine, album covers, artists and album names show up just fine. However if I try to import an album I get an error immediately "There was a problem downloading "Title of first track on the album". An unknown error occurred (-50)."

If I click the album cover, none of the tracks show up. Every album appear empty.

I have checked that home sharing works fine using my iPad to stream from my iMac, so the fault must be with the Macbook somehow.

I have tried turning off Home sharing on both machines. restarting both of them and even tried deleting my entire library on the Macbook.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Mojave (10.14), null

Posted on Sep 30, 2018 5:36 AM

Similar questions

11 replies

Sep 30, 2018 8:12 AM in response to turingtest2

Good suggestion, but unfortunately that wasn't it 🙂

It actually goes both ways, I have a single album on my Macbook that I don't have on the iMac, and I can't import from that either :/

Here is what the import screen looks like on the Macbook. Notice that no songs are available, and if I try importing anyway, I get the unknown error (-50).

User uploaded file

Sep 30, 2018 6:53 AM in response to Konsolkongen

I'd be surprised if there is an issue with your permissions, however offhand this is only thing I can think of right now.

Use Get Info on the folders you want to copy to or from in turn. Click the lock at the bottom right to make changes. Make sure that locked isn't ticked and that your own account has read & write access, then use the gear icon to apply the permissions to enclosed items and confirm.

User uploaded file

tt2

Oct 10, 2018 3:29 PM in response to turingtest2

I'm having the same issue...although I can't specifically confirm that it is due to Mojave (it may have been an issue before the upgrade and I just didn't notice).

I have a MacBook Pro 2018 that I upgraded today to Mojave and I am using home sharing with my main iTunes library on an iMAC...it was running High Sierra. While songs that I have purchased from iTunes on my iMac show up in the iTunes library on my MBP automatically, I noticed that I can't use the import function to import songs from my iMac to my MBP. This is true for songs that I downloaded into my iTunes Library from sources other than the iTunes store...but it is also true for songs from the iTunes store. When I try to import the song I get the message: There was a problem downloading "Song X". An unknown error occurred (-50). I thought the issue might be related to the fact that I was running Mojave on my MBP and High Sierra on my iMac...so I upgraded my iMac to Mojave as well...but the problem remains.

Perhaps on a related note, there also seems to be an issue with how Recently Added view works via Home Sharing. If I am pointed in iTunes at my MBP Library in the Recently Added View and I click on the Album, I will see the song. When I use Home Sharing to look at the Library on my iMac, if I am in Recently Added and I click on the Album even ones downloaded from iTunes, the song is not listed. It is somehow .a function of when the song was entered into the iTunes Library...songs in the library for more than 3 months seem to be ok.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? I have verified that both my MBP and my iMac are on the same home Wifi network. In addition, if I use the iTunes Add to Library function and connect to the directory on my iMac where the song is located, I can import it that way...so it doesn't appear to be a networking issue

Oct 16, 2018 12:36 PM in response to nicksage

Definitely an issue with Homesharing in Mojave. As an update to my previous post, I thought that songs I purchased from iTunes on my iMac were still being downloaded to iTunes on my MBP...and that the homesharing issue was only with music I imported on my own. In fact it appears to be a problem with all music. I just bought a song on iTunes via my iMac and when I go to my MBP it does not show up.

Does anyone from Apple monitor these discussions?

Cannot import from home sharing since Mojave. Unknown error (-50)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.