Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photoshop cs5.1 will not stay open under Mojave

User uploaded file

Hello everyone,

As soon as I touch anything on the photoshop screen it crashes. Trying to reopen it does the same thing.

I can open a file, but thats as far as it gets.

It only started doing this with Mojave.

the start of my "Photoshop quit unexpectedly" report looks as follows

-------------------------------------

Process: Adobe Photoshop CS5.1 [1812]

Path: /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS5.1/Adobe Photoshop CS5.1.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Photoshop CS5.1

Identifier: com.adobe.Photoshop

Version: 12.1 (12.1x20110328.r.145] [12.1)

Code Type: X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process: ??? [1]

Responsible: Adobe Photoshop CS5.1 [1812]

User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2018-09-30 15:03:40.091 -0400

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.14 (18A391)

Report Version: 12

Anonymous UUID: 3E05F811-B9FE-9F63-5A1F-FDD3B261011D

Time Awake Since Boot: 18000 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000038

Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11

Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb

Terminating Process: exc handler [1812]

VM Regions Near 0x38:

-->

__TEXT 0000000100000000-00000001026fc000 [ 39.0M] r-x/rwx SM=COW /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS5.1/Adobe Photoshop CS5.1.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Photoshop CS5.1

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

0 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff38f29229 CFMachPortGetContext + 4

------------------------------------------

does anyone any suggestions?

thanks for any help

Kirk Jones

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Sep 30, 2018 12:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2018 1:15 PM

Sorry, but it was “Patrick Houlihan” who referred to Photoshop and the Accessibility setting, not I. I’m using PS CC 2019 and have not had the problem to which Mr. Houlihan referred.

That said, if you don’t have the problem, either, don’t worry about it. If PS asks you to turn on accessibility at some point, do so. But if you should encounter a problem, try turning it off and back on as described above by Mr. Houlihan.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2018 1:15 PM in response to kirkfrombarrie

Sorry, but it was “Patrick Houlihan” who referred to Photoshop and the Accessibility setting, not I. I’m using PS CC 2019 and have not had the problem to which Mr. Houlihan referred.

That said, if you don’t have the problem, either, don’t worry about it. If PS asks you to turn on accessibility at some point, do so. But if you should encounter a problem, try turning it off and back on as described above by Mr. Houlihan.

Jan 2, 2019 3:14 PM in response to kirkfrombarrie

In case that the trick with ticking of “Allow the apps below to control your computer” (under macOS’s Security & Privacy settings in System Preferences) does not seem to work on first try, as was my case in the beginning, try this:

1. Remove „Adobe Photoshop CS5“ from the list by selecting it and the selecting the - (minus symbol) below the list.

2. Add „Adobe Photoshop CS5“ to the list again by clicking on the + (plus symbol) below the list and navigate to the Photoshop CS5.app in the Applications folder.

3. Tick the box in front of „Adobe Photoshop CS5“ in the list of “Allow the apps below to control your computer”.

After re-adding „Adobe Photoshop CS5“ to the list of apps in “Allow the apps below to control your computer” Photoshop CS5 is fully working for me again!

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/open-apps-wont-work-mojave-photoshop-368442 5/

Oct 31, 2018 6:06 AM in response to jordirv

I tried that solution, but I'm continuing to have the same problem as the OP. Before installing Mojave, I read about the need to add Photoshop to the Privacy pane in Accessibility. I did that, and got Photoshop CS5.1 to run. It successfully opens, saves, uses filters, etc. I can even brush in a mask. But if I click on the frame of an image file (and sometimes directly on the image), Photoshop crashes.

Oct 31, 2018 6:31 AM in response to Patrick Houlihan

UPDATE: I went back to Accessibility, deselected Photoshop, and then reselected it. Now it's working fine.

This is a tip I had read regarding a different application. Apparently, Mojave's Accessibility pane is somewhat untrustworthy. You may need to deselect and reselect a few times. Once it works, you might have to go through the same routine in the future, and it's probably as likely with the newest version of Photoshop as it is with one as old as CS5.1. Good luck!

Oct 31, 2018 10:30 AM in response to Patrick Houlihan

I went back to Accessibility, deselected Photoshop, and then reselected it. Now it's working fine.

That’s good to hear, but still... Your Photoshop is about 10 generations out of date. If you’re serious about your photos it’s time to get the Adobe Photography Plan. Photoshop CC 2019, two versions of Lightroom for your Mac, and Lightroom for iOS, always up-to-date. An absolute steal @ $10 per month!

photoshop cs5.1 will not stay open under Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.