Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility partition icon greyed out -- can't repartition

I tried to respond to Partition feature is greyed out in Disk Utility thread but it was too old and made me start a new thread. I have the solution to this problem. By the way, this is for OS 10.11.6 (15G22010) El Capitan on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), but if you are having this problem, this will likely work for several other configurations.

BACKGROUND

After skimming many articles on Google search results and also Apple Support site, with no luck, I DISCOVERED HOW TO FIX IT BY FOOLING WITH THE INTERFACE. Apple design simplicity is why we missed it.

SOLUTION

• open DISK UTILITY
  • click the partition you want to delete (in the left side of the window)
  • User uploaded file

• click UNMOUNT (partition you want to delete will grey out)
  • User uploaded file

• click on the main partition (top left)
  • click the PARTITION icon (at the top)
  • User uploaded file

• mouse over the white "piece of pie" and click on the pop-up sign to make it stay showing.
  • User uploaded file

• now click the little white pie sliver below the pop-up sign (the red circle area above). The pie piece will change blue showing it is selected. (Ignore the dialog box--just click OK).
  • User uploaded file

• At this point you can CLICK THE MINUS button !
  • User uploaded file

• once you click minus, the entire circle will turn blue, showing it will combine once you click APPLY.
  • User uploaded file

• now click APPLY. (It may take a minute or so to finish).
  • User uploaded file

User uploaded file

the partitions will recombine into one.

User uploaded file

PROBLEM SOLVED.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), iOS 10.3.3, Disk Utility Repartitioning

Posted on Sep 30, 2018 12:34 PM

Similar questions

There are no replies.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.