Question:

Question: Cracked camera lens iPhone X’s?

Anyone else find that the camera lens on their Xs is mysteriously cracked? Had the phone a week and never dropped it and always in case. Keen to hear if this is a common problem with the new model?

Posted on

Oct 1, 2018 12:49 PM in response to AndyNZ01 In response to AndyNZ01

Hi Andy,

Same thing happened to me with my brand new iPhone Xs, 5 days after delivery. It was never dropped and handle with extreme care, I don't understand, very disappointed. I visited a Apple store yesterday and I was told that this type of damage was not covered by Apple care.

Oct 1, 2018 12:49 PM

Reply Helpful

Oct 1, 2018 1:00 PM in response to mbrodeur65 In response to mbrodeur65

Sounds exactly the same as my situation. When I rang apple was told to take in it in store for repair. The guy on phone gave me a case # and was kind of indicating that it would be covered but who knows, can’t imagine it’s a cheap repair. Very annoying

Oct 1, 2018 1:00 PM

Reply Helpful

Oct 26, 2018 1:29 PM in response to AndyNZ01 In response to AndyNZ01

This happened to me as well. I have been handling the phone with extreme care, has had a case immediately after opening. A case they sell for $50+, haven't dropped the phone. The only thing is I've been traveling. Big Bear, Hawaii, Mexico. The cracked appeared after traveling to Hawaii.

Took it to apple and they told me it would have to be swapped for a new phone but that would cost or deduct as apple care but count as damaged caused by me. When I didn't do it!! Since it's not affecting camera performance they told me to keep it as is, and hope people voice this is happening. Maybe apple addresses it.

I google it and found these articles and this post. In one of the articles, it talks about the weather.

Help!! For the amount of money this phone is, it shouldn't be happening!

https://9to5mac.com/2018/05/23/cracked-iphone-x-camera/

https://bgr.com/2018/05/25/iphone-x-camera-lens-crack-explanation-fix/

The crack on my phone is just like the articles posted. Attaching imageUser uploaded file

Oct 26, 2018 1:29 PM

Reply Helpful

Oct 27, 2018 6:22 PM in response to jessca In response to jessca

Same thing happened to me. Brand new XS Max 256gb. Two days ago noticed cracks in the camera glass. Phone was never dropped and always in a case that's thicker than the camera bump.

Took it to Apple and was told it's "physical damage" so they can't do anything.

There shouldn't be physical damage if it was never dropped. I'm really disappointed.

Oct 27, 2018 6:22 PM

Reply Helpful

Oct 27, 2018 8:33 PM in response to srcstc In response to srcstc

I too just looked at my phone and noticed today that I have a crack in my camera lens. I have had my phone 3 weeks. I have an otter box case and a screen protector. I am careful and find this very disappointing and unacceptable for something that costs this much. Something definitely needs to be done and Apple needs to fix the poor design and offer repairs.

Oct 27, 2018 8:33 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Oct 29, 2018 8:54 PM in response to AndyNZ01 In response to AndyNZ01

Same.... my brother got the iPhone xs max with full otter box case and glass + screen protector and the next day the back camera lens had a crack. Oh of course apple said they wouldn't cover it for free. It would cost me apple care, plus its deductible to replace the whole phone. APPLE NEEDS TO OFFER FREE REPLACEMENT FOR THIS FAULTY LENS. We are very disappointed with this and feel like it shouldnt happen 1 day out the box and then have to pay extra to replace!

Oct 29, 2018 8:54 PM

Reply Helpful (4)

Oct 30, 2018 9:20 PM in response to AndyNZ01 In response to AndyNZ01

I have the same exact problem! Only had my XS a little over 2 weeks and had a case on it once I took it out of the box. Never dropped my phone and just saw the similar crack on the lens as what people here posted and also on the iPhone X thread. I feel this is a recall! If I knew this, I would have settled for the iPhone XR. Will post picture soon!

Oct 30, 2018 9:20 PM

Reply Helpful

Oct 30, 2018 9:34 PM in response to jessca In response to jessca

At least for this one, there seems to be a pretty clear impact point where something hit or pressed against the lens.

Since it's the back camera and the back camera sits proud of the camera body, it could be as simple as setting the camera back down on a surface that had something unforgiving on it.

Note I'm not Apple, I have no say one way or the other, I just have dealt with a lot of cracked glass and plastic before.

User uploaded file

Oct 30, 2018 9:34 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Oct 30, 2018 9:44 PM in response to AndyNZ01 In response to AndyNZ01

Had mine for 3 days and noticed a crack. Never dropped or kept with keys or anything. I HAVE NEVER broken a phone in anyway my whole life. I will be visiting the store tomorrow to see what they can do, I sure hope they help me out.

Oct 30, 2018 9:44 PM

Reply Helpful

Oct 31, 2018 7:38 AM in response to Jarvis27 In response to Jarvis27

Exact same story for me, 3 days! Unfortunately, I went to Apple last night -- one guy was predictable / slightly condescending with the "personal damage / definitely your fault" spiel, but another guy was a bit more understanding. Regardless, they wouldn't do anything whatsoever to remedy it. Luckily, the crack on mine hasn't affected the flash or camera (yet!) I'm just hoping that in a couple weeks / months, with the amount of people coming forward and complaining about this issue, Apple will step up and actually offer to fix it.

Oct 31, 2018 7:38 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: AndyNZ01

Question: Cracked camera lens iPhone X’s?