Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

456 steps per hour in health app

Health app has been recording 456 steps per hour for the last 23 hours even when asleep!

total distance for today is 4.4km - but I went for a run this morning and did 6k so my distance and steps are incorrect.

Anyone seen this before? Anyway of checking what is wrong? it seems to have now started recording more steps so not a big deal - this does feed into my insurance so I like to get my steps right!

iphone x on iOS 12

Posted on Oct 1, 2018 1:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2019 8:22 PM

I had a similar problem then I realised the culprit was other third party health apps. Some of them may estimate your daily steps by formula instead of actual measurement. Thus an average step per hour is then written to HealthKit if they are granted the right.

I suggest checking the source of those errors in iOS’ health app and find out. You may disable those app’s writing right if this is the case. You can also delete those related data to clean up your records.

Hope this helps.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2019 8:22 PM in response to RulianH

I had a similar problem then I realised the culprit was other third party health apps. Some of them may estimate your daily steps by formula instead of actual measurement. Thus an average step per hour is then written to HealthKit if they are granted the right.

I suggest checking the source of those errors in iOS’ health app and find out. You may disable those app’s writing right if this is the case. You can also delete those related data to clean up your records.

Hope this helps.

Oct 1, 2018 6:01 PM in response to Nastymatt

Hi Nastymatt,

Thank you for contacting Apple Support Communities. Based on what you stated, it seems like the Apple Watch is recording step when you are asleep. Are you wearing the Apple Watch while you are sleeping? I would recommend you use this article to help troubleshoot the issue. ​

Calibrating your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy

Cheers.

Feb 27, 2019 7:36 PM in response to Nastymatt

Same here on iPhone XS, my phone stay on a table and is not moving at all but I manage too get a fixe number of steps while I am a sleep or even while I am at the office and my phone is on myself desk.

For example in Monday I go 242 step evry hours from midnight to 7pm and the same number of steps during hours my phone is on my desk a the office.

Does Apple aknowledge the bug at least??

Oct 25, 2018 3:23 AM in response to Nastymatt

I have this issue too. iPhone SE. Only noticed today.

Happened after update to ios12 , never happened before. No Apple Watch

Displays exactly same step count every hour over a period of consecutive hours. Looks like its just repeatedly saving same value, rather than returning to zero for periods of inactivity - did it once for period of 6 days at end of September (repeatedly saved 220 steps per hour for 6 days (not the only occurrence happened repeatedly over last month)).

Could be that periods of significant activity somehow resets it (having said this took a long walk over weekend recorded first hour, then stuck on same value over entire period of walk)

Nov 25, 2018 2:08 PM in response to James Perris

I’m having the same problem. From Nov 16 to 23 mine has recorded 125 per hour, though I KNOW some days were more and many of those days (Thanksgiving break) were much less. The app’s useless if I can’t actually track my real steps.

Iphone SE. Also just started to occur after updating to iOS12, along with a delay in step updating when it does work. I have to open the app (“no steps”), close it to force refresh, and open it again to see the steps.

Perhaps it saves a step count if you don’t open it to check now?

456 steps per hour in health app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.