Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Voice memos and cellular data

Hi,

I just wanna know why the Voice memos app uses internet connection, moreover cellular data. I upgraded to ios 12 yesterday and didn't notice that the settings of the app have changed to use cellular data, so the app consumed !!several GB!! during one-hour usage. But I really don't understand what is the data usage for (it's not even saved in my iCloud).

Thanks!

iPhone SE, iOS 12

Posted on Oct 1, 2018 4:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2018 11:49 AM

WHAT??!! ME TOO. I just got slapped with a notice from my cell service that I'm over my data and I've been charged accordingly!!! WHAT HAPPENED? Recently, I updated my iPhone (with new voice memos app) and trusted APPLE would never allow me to install and activate a feature (auto sync) without a WARNING that the sync feature was AUTOMATIC rather than manual which would allow me to choose WHEN to sync and that it might result in HUGE data transfers over my cell service!! BAM! This is not any way to treat a loyal customer since 1984. I trusted (PAST TENSE) APPLE to protect me. I no longer feel that way. 😟 Auto sync without a warning? Sounds like a good idea to me, but that's why I don't work at APPLE. Is anyone listening? I hope so, because your PR just went into the toilet!

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2018 11:49 AM in response to nikolk

WHAT??!! ME TOO. I just got slapped with a notice from my cell service that I'm over my data and I've been charged accordingly!!! WHAT HAPPENED? Recently, I updated my iPhone (with new voice memos app) and trusted APPLE would never allow me to install and activate a feature (auto sync) without a WARNING that the sync feature was AUTOMATIC rather than manual which would allow me to choose WHEN to sync and that it might result in HUGE data transfers over my cell service!! BAM! This is not any way to treat a loyal customer since 1984. I trusted (PAST TENSE) APPLE to protect me. I no longer feel that way. 😟 Auto sync without a warning? Sounds like a good idea to me, but that's why I don't work at APPLE. Is anyone listening? I hope so, because your PR just went into the toilet!

Oct 16, 2018 10:33 AM in response to nikolk

I am literally fuming. Have been a voice memo user for ages and have never had the issue where it uses mobile data. I ran up a bill of more than $200 in the space of an hour this afternoon using mobile data (without my knowledge) when my plan's inclusive data had been depleted. It's simply unacceptable that an update of the app now includes the option to use mobile data without specifically asking you to consent to it. Where can I send the claim for a refund?

😠

Voice memos and cellular data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.