Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mojave Time Machine Backups Fail

Hello. I had no issues with backups prior to upgrading to Mojave. I initially thought the Lacie backup HDD could faulty as it was around 4 years old so I replaced the internal disk, the problem persisted. I tried another external hard disk and this also failed. There is around 400GB of data to backup and the backups fail at between 200 and 300GB.

The Mac is an iMac i7 with 32GB of RAM and a 3TB Fusion drive. The only thing I have noticed is that as the backup proceeds it slows significantly around half way before throwing up the message that the backup has failed.

Any ideas?

Kind Regards,

Pathfinderoz

Posted on Oct 1, 2018 5:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2018 1:11 PM

OK, if you have App Cleaner and Uninstaller follow the steps in this screenshot. This App not only killed Time Machine but also backups/clones using other software. This resolved my backup problems.

User uploaded file

25 replies

Oct 6, 2018 1:11 AM in response to raina_b22

That general fix list does not solve this problem when its related to Mojave. That list is a generic blanket approach that may solve some people's problems, but not the problems that have been happening since Mojave released. I have 3 drives that no longer work with time machine so long as they formatted in journaled case-insensitive. as soon as i format them to journaled case-sensitive they all work fine. Then I got back to case-insensitive and they all fail again. The proof is in the pudding, now we just need an update to fix this.

Oct 2, 2018 5:37 AM in response to Pathfineroz

Greetings, Pathfineroz.

I see that, ever since you upgraded your iMac to MacOS Mojave, Time Machine hasn't been able to complete a backup. Good job on the troubleshooting you've used, and I'm happy to help.

If you can't back up or restore your Mac using Time Machine -- This article address your problem. Review the information and apply the steps provided.

Take care!

Oct 3, 2018 4:35 PM in response to Pathfineroz

We get numerous posts here related to users having issues with using Time Machine (TM) since macOS Sierra, and continuing with High Sierra and Mojave. The bottom line is that TM has become unreliable for backups. Interestingly, this issue appears to be more prevalent with the Time Capsule. Typically this has NOT been an issue with either directly attached drives (like yours) or to NAS devices. Regardless, a number of us have been recommending that users look into alternative incremental backup solutions, like Carbon Copy Cloner.

Here are some things you can try:

For your Mac:

• Remove or disable any anti-virus programs that it may be running.
  • Remove or disable any software firewalls that it may be running.
  • Verify that it does not have any adware or malware present. I would suggest that you consider using Malwarebytes for Mac if you currently aren't already doing so.
  • Configure your Mac's network configuration to use, as a minimum: IPv6 Link-local only
    • System Preferences > Network > Ethernet OR Wi-Fi > Advanced > TCP/IP > Configure IPv6: Link-local only
    • Note: This should not be performed if your ISP is providing you with a full implementation of IPv6. In that case, use the IPv6 settings recommended by your ISP.
  • Verify your TM backups:
    • Hold down the option key, and then, click on the TM icon on the macOS menu bar.
    • Click on Verify Backups.

Oct 3, 2018 4:21 PM in response to raina_b22

It does not address the problem others are having. This is not the only comment about this problem and others have tried many suggestions to no avail. Pathfineroz, look elsewhere on the forum or just do a Google search as it will take you to another thread on this same topic. Unfortunately, the other thread doesn't offer a solution either. The usual case in these situations is that Apple will not comment if there is a problem. Most likely you will have to wait for the next version of Mojave for a fix as that is the usual case except for major security problems.

Oct 3, 2018 4:40 PM in response to Tesserax

I have a USB 3.0 drive connected to a WD 1 TB drive. I also have a second identical drive that I alternate with each month. It has worked fine for the past year. Fortunately the alternate drive was not used since upgrading to Mojave from High Sierra and I don't intend on using that drive until this mater is resolved as it is the easiest way to return to High Sierra if need be. My last incremental backup ceased after installing Mojave based on the time and date stamp of the "latest" folder.

Oct 7, 2018 8:34 AM in response to Pathfineroz

I'm here to add that I'm having this too. Only difference I see from others posting about it is that I have my TM on a NAS that's on my internal network. All was well on High Sierra now fails every time. The only other odd thing I notice is the name of the TM when it says it fails. It says the traditional "Backup Failed, Time Machine couldn't back up to "LS-WXL705-TimeMachine.local".

That's not the name I can find on any of my NAS settings nor when I connect to the device via Servers > then the internal IP. After that i mount the NAS drives to my Mac and I select one of two timemachine folders, named either timemachine1 or Timemachine2. Now trying to mount fails and neither have worked since Mojave. Prior I'd have to mount them if I had issues but that was rare and usually solved any back up issues with TM i've ever had.

Another oddity is that in my Finders > Locations list on the left I see the LS-WXL705 on the list. Click that I have to "Connect As", removing my local login credentials to the NAS admin credentials clicking Save to Keychain (which it seems to never too by the way) then Continue. I get a do you wish to connect and I click OK and then I see an Admin folder and then the Timemachine2 folder. So it's very odd with how it's connecting but not connecting via different means and not backing up. I did just get 10.14.1 Beta so seems to still not be fixed yet.

Mojave Time Machine Backups Fail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.