Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari browser - Google search engine haunted by Yahoo.

In Safari my Google search engine is 'haunted' by Yahoo which immediately overtakes it when Google is selected. I have tried know re-sets and checked preferences/plug-ins/extensions and discovered that Firefox is fault free, so it must be Safari. I believe it is a hidden 'spigot search' extension but am reluctant to use a Malware programme. Does anyone have another solution? Thank you.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), iOS 9.3.2

Posted on Oct 1, 2018 2:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2018 7:48 AM

You are welcome. Safari reset is now Safari/Clear History. Did you try step 2?

You can try Malwarebytes. It was written by Thomas Reed, a long time poster. The program will search for malware/adware The program will do the work for you which makes it easy. There is no reason to leave it installed once troubleshooting is finished. The free version doesn't update itself. If you need it again, you can download it again. It is a highly recommended program.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac 10.10 and later

Malwarebytes uninstall

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2018 7:48 AM in response to daylyt

You are welcome. Safari reset is now Safari/Clear History. Did you try step 2?

You can try Malwarebytes. It was written by Thomas Reed, a long time poster. The program will search for malware/adware The program will do the work for you which makes it easy. There is no reason to leave it installed once troubleshooting is finished. The free version doesn't update itself. If you need it again, you can download it again. It is a highly recommended program.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac 10.10 and later

Malwarebytes uninstall

Oct 3, 2018 7:13 AM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric,

Thank you very much for taking the time to offer me some options here. I have used option 7 above and worked as far as I can with it to no avail. I have no extensions, no active plug-ins, my homepage is safe and Google is selected as search engine of choice.

In Safari menu I have no 'Reset Safari' option (incidentally 'Private Browsing' is now a 'File' option) so I wonder if the stage we've reached is not appropriate to High Sierra 10.13.6?

Any further advice before committing to a Malware search programme would be gratefully received.

Peter

Oct 3, 2018 7:59 AM in response to Eric Root

Sorry Eric, yes I did and found nothing unusual, checked by mod date as well. I have only 12 Apps from 2018 and 41 from 2017. As this is a very recent problem, about 4 weeks I've been looking primarily at recents.

I feel I will have to try Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac thank you. I will report back!

Peter

Safari browser - Google search engine haunted by Yahoo.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.