Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MS 3.4 not saving multitimbral config

In my case, MainStage 3.4 is not saving channel strip MIDI input configurations (multitimbral), neither with old docs nor with new. This is a deal breaker.

Anybody else seeing this?

Elazmo

MacBook Pro, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Oct 1, 2018 3:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2018 11:28 AM

With this workaround I'm not using multi timbral at all. So I don't run into any multi timbral related problems:-).

So how to do it:

1. Dublicate your concert! Cause when Apple fixes the multi timbral issues, you might be able to use the original file again.

2. Make an alias of the multi timbral channel strip. if you have multiple entries in the multi timbral setting, you make multiple aliases. (MainStage: Create an alias of a channel strip).

3. Assign each of the aliases and the original channel strip to the midi channels you need.

As said, depending on the complexity of your setting, this can be very time consuming. But it's at least working for me :-). And by the way: aliases are a good way to make your concert more efficient if you use the same channel strip in different songs.

Hope it helps.

Similar questions

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2018 11:28 AM in response to MichaL2212

With this workaround I'm not using multi timbral at all. So I don't run into any multi timbral related problems:-).

So how to do it:

1. Dublicate your concert! Cause when Apple fixes the multi timbral issues, you might be able to use the original file again.

2. Make an alias of the multi timbral channel strip. if you have multiple entries in the multi timbral setting, you make multiple aliases. (MainStage: Create an alias of a channel strip).

3. Assign each of the aliases and the original channel strip to the midi channels you need.

As said, depending on the complexity of your setting, this can be very time consuming. But it's at least working for me :-). And by the way: aliases are a good way to make your concert more efficient if you use the same channel strip in different songs.

Hope it helps.

Oct 12, 2018 6:39 AM in response to Mirkonik8788

I tackle step 3 differently. On the original channel strip (the copied one), I have MIDI input at None.User uploaded file

On the aliases is where I set what the MIDI inputs are. These override the ones set at the original strip anyway.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

and then in a patch itself, here'll you see I'm pulling from three different aliased multitimbral channel strips...

User uploaded file

the issue though is that the multitimbral MIDI assignments (which controller feeds which MIDI channel) is broken - they're all on the bottom controller, and there should be some on the top controller as well. In this patch, one layer has both controllers "sending" to the same MIDI channel (for this song, strings on bottom, strings and French Horns on top).

User uploaded file

This is a construct which has worked for many, many versions of MS, that it's broken now, now that there's a file format change, is for me too reminiscent of the versions 3.2, 3.2.1, 3.2.2, 3.2.3 debacle. Hundreds of hours of work was lost then. I was showing up at shows early because it was a real crap-shoot as to what MainStage would actually load from a concert file at that time...

@APPLE, If you need me to test this for you before releasing, you have my ID.

Wow, this is sad...

Oct 5, 2018 2:29 PM in response to DenCherry

Hey,

I do have a similar problem. I have twi Midi-Keyboards attached to my MacBook. When I set a Channel-Strip to use both Keyboards with the multitimbral command the sounds do work initially. But when I restart MainStage, there is no sound coming at all. But when I select the faulty Channel-Strip, it is suddenly working again (but all other channel-strips with similar settings won't work).

Would be great to have a solution to this problem...

Oct 7, 2018 9:44 AM in response to Elazmo

YES! I at first was proud of myself for discovering why some of my patches were suddenly missing the Keyboard Layers and thus making no sounds.

So I fixed them - and they were all (so far) multi timbral settings - then saved the concert......

....then fixed again and saved.....and again......

Soon as you close and re-open MainStage 3.4.0 - - those settings are gone.

Oct 8, 2018 9:20 AM in response to MichaL2212

Yes, I noticed this first with my crazy Vintage B-3 setup: upper manual, lower manual, 25 MIDI bass pedals, two NI B4 drawbar controllers, Yamaha expression pedal, and a Korg Nanokey for preset control. Then there's the two Motif XS, Prophet-5 and Nanopad for program changes.

You can imagine having to set that all up in multitimbral between sessions.

It's time to jump ship for the Akai software.

Elazmo

MS 3.4 not saving multitimbral config

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.