Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is Snapchat still able to be used when phone is in Downtime?

Snapchat is not in the list of allowed apps yet it is not restricted during Downtime and is fully usable indefinitely. Am not sure if my daughter has found a work around to allow this to happen. Have tried switching phone on and off. Makes no difference. Any answers or fixes?

Posted on Oct 2, 2018 5:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2018 1:06 PM

Hi,

The problem persists. Am pretty sure it’s a glitch. And a similar one is showing itself on my phone.

All settings have been set by following instructions, phones have been switched on and off, downtime begins and ends at the correct set times, the allowed apps are visible but so is Snapchat on my daughter’s phone and so is Messenger on mine (I don’t have Snapchat to test it). Neither Snapchat on hers or Messenger on mine are in the allowed apps list yet both are usable in downtime. I think this is a problem that Apple need to be aware of so that when they update the iOS next, they can ensure that during downtime only the allowed apps are usable and no others can sneak in under the radar.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2018 1:06 PM in response to raina_b22

Hi,

The problem persists. Am pretty sure it’s a glitch. And a similar one is showing itself on my phone.

All settings have been set by following instructions, phones have been switched on and off, downtime begins and ends at the correct set times, the allowed apps are visible but so is Snapchat on my daughter’s phone and so is Messenger on mine (I don’t have Snapchat to test it). Neither Snapchat on hers or Messenger on mine are in the allowed apps list yet both are usable in downtime. I think this is a problem that Apple need to be aware of so that when they update the iOS next, they can ensure that during downtime only the allowed apps are usable and no others can sneak in under the radar.

Nov 27, 2018 8:55 PM in response to Llani123

I am having the same issue with Snapchat. My teens always allowed apps are phone, messages.facetime, and the weather channel. But Snapchat is still available and can be opened. Initially, when I first started using it, everything was blocked during downtime. I use downtime primarily for Snapchat blocking at night. It’s very important to me for this to be fixed. Seeing that I’m not the only person having this issue, there’s more to it than something we all aren’t doing correctly. I would love to hear a fix for this!User uploaded file

Oct 3, 2018 6:25 AM in response to Llani123

Hello Llani123,

I see that you're having an issue with Snapchat being allowed even when on Downtime. I certainly understand your concern, and I'd be happy to help.

Let's have you take a look at the following article for Screen Time and just double check the settings.

Use Screen Time to get insights about how you use your device
You can also set up parental controls on your daughter's device as well. This article will guide you through those steps if needed.
Use parental controls on your child's iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.
Enjoy your day!

Oct 18, 2018 7:43 AM in response to Llani123

I have just tested both Downtime and setting a time limit and both times Snapchat was blocked. The most likely is that they are going into the Settings and adjusting the time so it is outside of the downtime limits. The second option is they either know or have guessed the ScreenTime password. Lastly, if it's just the app that has a time limit and the whole phone isn't on downtime, then they can delete and reinstall the app to reset the time limit. For my kids they know if they violate the rules or abuse the restrictions on their phone they will lose it or have their phone taken away. I would delete Snapchat from their phone and turn on the restriction where they can't install apps.

Oct 18, 2018 12:19 PM in response to anypats

Initially it worked. Funnily enough it worked last night. The child is as puzzled as me. Some days the 2 hr time limit works, some days it’s as though there is no time limit at all. Sometimes it is blocked. Sometimes not. Depends on the day. The same with Messenger for me - I have my phone set to downtime after a certain time. Messenger is not an allowed app yet it is not blocked. On the odd day it is. No change to any settings. No kids knowing passwords or work arounds (this is possible in the many apps out there designed to restrict phone use in kids). I have checked the phone/settings in the evenings and nothing has been changed. I’ve tried putting a 1 min time limit on it (with child’s phone in my hand) - all other apps shut down. The social media ones don’t. It is most definitely a glitch that Apple needs to sort out. I had hoped that the new update would have addressed this serious problem but no....

It is the inconsistency that is most weird.

Nov 4, 2018 10:31 PM in response to Llani123

I’m having the same issue with my daughter’s Down Time. Snapchat and Safari are both showing available with full use but they’re not on the list of aloud apps. So frustrating since those are probably the two I care about the most. Makes the restriction completely useless to me as a parent. Apple needs to get on this right away or there are going to be a lot of upset parents.

Why is Snapchat still able to be used when phone is in Downtime?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.