Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth does not work on Macbook Pro

I am trying to get a MightyMouse working with my MacBook Pro.I am using "Bluetooth Setup Assisant" and selecting "Mouse".

I cannot get it to find the mouse (except it does when switching the mouse off and on with its switch).

Then it says "The computer will use an empty passkey to pair with your device if possible"

Then it simply hangs for minutes with a message "Connecting to 00-14-51-etc" which I guess is the hardware id of the mouse.

Resart the application. Same result.

Batteries and mouse are new. But take out batteries and re-insert. Same problem.

Shutdown and restart the Macbook Pro. Same problem.

Try with power cable connected and not connected. Same problem.

Now I've got something new which I have not seen before.

There is a message that comes up in Bluetooth Setup Assistant which toggles every couple of seconds with the standard Welcome message and says "Appropriate Bluetooth hardware or software was not found on this computer". Also when you click the Bluetooth icon it sometimes shows the normal expected options. Do it again, a message "Bluetooth: Not Available" is given.

My thought is that I have got a hardware or operating system fault. The thought of re-installing the OS doesn't appeal since I will probably lose all my setups, files and everything.

My supplier says "Reinstall OS" which sounds like a get-out.

Incidentally I also have a Macbook which works perfectly.

I have 2 Mighty Mouses. Both work fine on the Macbook. Neither works on the Macbook Pro.

Both have up-to-date software.

I wonder has anyone else had this problem? And have they solved it?

Macbook Pro Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Feb 15, 2007 11:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2007 3:56 PM

I've had my Mac Book Pro since December and I also have the mighty mouse. It has worked perfectly UNTIL I installed the security update today. Now it doesn't work!!

Go figure.
5 replies

Feb 15, 2007 4:06 PM in response to Patti1

Recently " AirPort Extreme Update 2007-001" f*cked up my wireless connection (MBP keeps getting disconnected from WiFi). I am still waiting for Mr Jobs to come up with a solution to my problem.

Now, I will hold off installing the the latest security update because of the Bluetooth problem that you guys have described.

Why can't Apple thoroughly test their software updates before releaseing them to the public???

(For those interested in the AirPort connection problem, details here:)
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=845708&tstart=0

Feb 16, 2007 2:13 PM in response to Cameron AUS

I am using a wireless bluetooth mouse and keyboard as I write this on my MBP. I have installed all the updates and have had no problems. I can't help directly but I just wanted to you know that the updates are not affecting everybody. My advice would be to make sure that the first time you hook up your bluetooth devices you are sure that it's not connected to any other bluetooth device. In other words make sure your other computers are off or bluetooth is off when you try to mate it with a new device.

Bluetooth does not work on Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.