Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone xs maximum battery capacity

Hey

My barely 2 weeks old iPhone xs is already at 99% of its maximum capacity, is this something I should be worried about or is this completely normal? I haven't done anything special with my iPhone xs.

Thanks

iPhone Xs, iOS 12

Posted on Oct 3, 2018 5:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2018 6:22 AM

Didn't have the chance to look this up yesterday, but this page has some good info too: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208387

Most notably, towards the bottom is this text: "A normal battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 500 complete charge cycles when operating under normal conditions.

Additional information about what charge cycles are is here: Batteries - Why Lithium-ion? - Apple

The take away here is: If your phone is performing as expected (battery is lasting through your day, no unexpected shutdowns, etc), don't bother looking at that battery info.

If you start having issues, go look there and see what's being reported. If your battery's capacity is closer to 80% or you see a message about the iPhone shutting down incorrectly, consider making an appointment at an Apple store to have it evaluated.

~Lyssa

34 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2018 6:22 AM in response to wexzzy

Didn't have the chance to look this up yesterday, but this page has some good info too: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208387

Most notably, towards the bottom is this text: "A normal battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 500 complete charge cycles when operating under normal conditions.

Additional information about what charge cycles are is here: Batteries - Why Lithium-ion? - Apple

The take away here is: If your phone is performing as expected (battery is lasting through your day, no unexpected shutdowns, etc), don't bother looking at that battery info.

If you start having issues, go look there and see what's being reported. If your battery's capacity is closer to 80% or you see a message about the iPhone shutting down incorrectly, consider making an appointment at an Apple store to have it evaluated.

~Lyssa

Nov 26, 2018 1:22 PM in response to wexzzy

Purchased iPhone XS 256 September 22 - 100%

October 6 - 99%

October 15 - 98%

October 31 - 97%

November 15 - 96%

I'm on track to be at 95% before the end of the month. I never fully drain it, I plug it up or have it on the wireless charger all night. I rarely let it get below 20%. This seems ridiculous. My wife's 6 month old iPhone 8 is at 98% which I'd expect and she uses her phone about twice as much as me.

Dec 5, 2018 2:40 AM in response to wexzzy

Hi All,

I posted a while back when I purchased a Xs on launch day in the UK and only after a month the battery maximum capacity was showing 97/98% and it appears a few other owners had the same issue. So the new Xs was showing to have a rapid deteriorating compared to much older iPhones.

So, unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how you look at it. I dropped my Xs and cracked the back glass cover, but I had Apple Care (Phew!) So I took it into an Apple Store and they replaced it for me. I was also told because of the wireless charging at the back of the phone this is not an easy job to replace the cracked glass cover.

However, two things to note if I did not have Apple Care the cost would have been 618 GBP! I mean you can get another phone for that price!! Secondary, I had the phone replaced on the 3 Nov and my Maximum Capacity is still showing 100%.

Mar 31, 2019 9:48 AM in response to wexzzy

My iphone XS is exactly 3 months old with 77 charge cycles. My maximum battery capacity has dropped to 95% and i always charge it carefully without overcharging and usually wait until it drops below 20% to charge it and don't unplug until it reaches at least 80%. Is there anything defective with iphone XS batteries in general? Apple says that a battery is designed to hold 80% max capacity after 500 charge cycles. This means that max capacity should drop by 1% around every 25 charge cycles. So mine should be around 97% max capacity but it's at 95%. Having said that, i compared my max battery capacity with a friend's iphone XR who has had the phone for 3 months and that phone has 100% max battery capacity with similar charge cycles. so puzzling..

iphone xs maximum battery capacity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.